taking a bit of a detour

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

taking a bit of a detour

Post by ~reneew » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:22 pm

To my friends... I thought I'd post here so you see it. I have been thinking a lot about this... I think that hunger should be why we eat, God made us that way with our own stop and go lights and if we ignore our body's cues we start to get into trouble. I need to listen to my hunger and fullness more, but I have trouble because I need strict rules and I cheat if I just use "satisfied" as a stopper. I've loved the guidelines of the No S diet because you have 1 plate at a time and no snitching or seconds. I do however think that it's o.k. to eat a few carrots at 3:00 pm if I'm really hungry and if I can fit a cookie on my plate, I think that's O.K. too. Also, if I'm obviously full half way through my plate at lunch, I still eat it on no S because it's so long til supper. So, I've been trying a mod to no S which incorporates a bit of the Weighdown diet. Instead of calling it a "mod" and getting a ton of people upset like they did at Marc, I'll just tell you my plan and say that I have started a team on Sparkpeople called One Dish. I am the only member :roll: and I hope others join me... check it out if you want to. I am the same name on there.

Here's my one dish plan:

- wait for your tum to grumble, then you get 1 dish (or plate of any food)
- daily heart and soul exercise (opt.)
- if hunger comes before a planned meal, have 3 bites... on your plate.
(This will help train us to guage our hunger and fullness in relation to what we put on our plate.)

Just think "grumble = plate"

I'd really love it if I had No S friends try it out with me. This is what I've been doing since Sept. 1 when I started to loose faster. I'm going to give my sparkpeople team a try for a while... If it flops, I'll be back. I'll keep tracking on my habit cal just in case.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:00 am

I think that makes a lot of sense! What exactly do you mean by that rule about how if you're hungry before your next meal, to have 3 bites on your plate? Do you account for those three bites on your next plate of food?
I think I'm doing something sort of similar to you. I do allow myself a small amount of sweets each day, but I make sure it fits onto my lunch or dinner plate. By doing it this way, I don't overindulge on sweets during the weekend.
Good luck to you!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:55 am

clarinetgal wrote: I do allow myself a small amount of sweets each day, but I make sure it fits onto my lunch or dinner plate. By doing it this way, I don't overindulge on sweets during the weekend.
I do the same thing for the same reason , but I don't worry about it fitting on my plate. However, it's always cookies and they always would fit on my plate.

reneew -- congratulations on seeking to find what works for you.

One of the things I find most frustrating here is folks being afraid to stray from vanilla No-S or "break the rules", even if they think some modification might work better for them. Nothing here is written in stone. Actually, nothing in any dietary program is written in stone. It's not only diet, but we seem to have become afraid to trust our own judgement.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:20 pm

wosnes wrote: Nothing here is written in stone.
Actually, nothing in any dietary program is written in stone.
we seem to have become afraid to trust our own judgement.
I very much agree.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:26 pm

clarinetgal wrote: What exactly do you mean by that rule about how if you're hungry before your next meal, to have 3 bites on your plate? Do you account for those three bites on your next plate of food?
If I get hungry and it's not the meal time yet, I have 3 bites of food, preferrably on a plate so I'm more aware of it. Then at the meal time, I call it good to go. The 3 bites were just a tide-me-over.

Thanks for your support everyone! I'd have stayed on here except everyone seems to jump on big mods saying they aren't following NoS. Bluebunny really got it and he's lost 90! I just feel that I don't want anyone jumping all over me for trying something different. I may be back soon, as I'm still a team of 1. :roll:
Please pray for me

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:01 pm

Thanks, Reneew.

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:24 pm

It's funny though: if anyone jumped on Marc it was because his version was too restrictive. Whereas in your case, it's more lenient. Either way, good luck!
Liz
Weight goal: less than I weigh now
Basic goal: doing no-S for life

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:21 pm

~reneew, if you want to stay, I'm sure you'd be welcome.

There are a lot of people here who do mods. I've never seen anyone who acknowledges that when giving advice (that is, advice that falls outside standard No-S) have a problem here.

Whatever you decide, best wishes!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:20 pm

~reneew wrote: I'd have stayed on here except
everyone seems to jump on big mods saying they aren't following NoS.
I am just one of many forum members here
who try out various modifications,
and choose not to follow "vanilla" NoS.
It sounds to me like you belong right here with the rest of us.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Reneew,
We can learn from each other as we try to lose weight. There are lots of examples of people who lose weight but very few of those people keep the weight off. That's part of why weight loss is so challenging. As we try different things, we can report back on our experiences and get feedback and different perspectives. Heck, I'm trying the same mod I did four months ago. There's a saying, "The definition of insanity is to try the same thing over and over and expect different results." Well, people have different reasons for the mods they try. Please feel encouraged by feedback because it means people care.
Kathleen

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:45 pm

I know Kathleen, and I'll visit here even while trying my new thing. We all do what we need to do. I won't give up until I'm healthy. :wink:
Please pray for me

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:56 pm

Reneew,
Good for you. Lots of people do give up. Even if a mod doesn't work, you do learn from the fact that it didn't work.
Kathleen

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:26 am

Naaaaaah Renee, most people were not that upset, really ! (Crowd booing ... throwing things - - and then ....
RIOTING, yes !) :-)

Good luck with your new plan, Renee. We all go through difficulties sometimes so it's your turn to fight through adversity, right ? :-(

Hey, here's a site I just discovered today ... it gives a lot of good tips/tricks.

A young american woman's weight loss journey - - She went from 220 to 155 pounds (5'8", 25 years old ?) 65 pounds within a year and a half, very inspirational.

http://antishayweightloss.com/

It really shows you what it takes to lose that kind of weight, unbelievable. Just eating better and exercising hard too. Excellent no nonsense advice, I was impressed.

Many short videos too monitoring her journey, it could take weeks or even months on and off to go through 'em all a lil' bit at a time. There's 275-300 short videos, most last 3 to 10 minutes ...

http://antishayweightloss.com/

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:30 pm

See "stupid detour that was!" for the update. :roll:
Please pray for me