No S and Breastfeeding?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LouMommy

No S and Breastfeeding?

Post by LouMommy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:32 pm

Hello all!

First post - awaiting my No S book in the mail...

My question is - I am a nursing mom. My daughter nurses about 5 times a day. I find that when I'm breastfeeding, I'm hungry a lot of the time.

Has anyone had any experience with nursing and No S? Did it affect your milk supply?

(Sorry if this is addressed in the book, like I said - it's in the mail!!)

Thanks! :D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:44 pm

I've not nursed a baby for a long time, but as long as you're eating and drinking enough, there's no reason that following No-S should affect your milk supply. You might need to add a 4th meal or have something between meals.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:58 pm

the first time I started no s I was nursing. Because I knew I should have a higher caloric intake while nursing, I didn't always follow the no snacks rule. when it was time to nurse, I would fix myself a big glass of ice water and grab a small, healthy snack like a cheese stick or spoonful of peanut butter or an apple. What I really focused on was eliminating the sweets and monster portions at meal time. There was something about planning those small snacks that really helped solidify the ground rules of no s. and the need for those small snacks decreased as my baby slowly weaned. that led me to believe that I actually did NEED those calories.
It's ok to ease in to no s, one or two rules at a time, if that is what works for you! good luck!
Carrie

amicamom

Post by amicamom » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:23 pm

I am nursing a 4-month-old full-time. I've been doing the nosdiet for a little less than a week now but I think there are enough calories from the 3 plates a day to keep our milk supply going. I get hungry between meals but I just tell myself to wait until my next meal. I've actually gained weight since the birth so I know I was eating too many calories before starting nosdiet. DRINK LOTS OF WATER!

I thought you might find this helpful:

Studies have shown that most healthy breastfeeding women maintain an abundant milk supply while taking in 1800-2200 (or more) calories per day. Consuming less than 1500-1800 calories per day (most women should stay at the high end of this range) may put your milk supply at risk, as may a sudden drop in caloric intake. (See Can I diet while breastfeeding? for more information on calorie restriction).
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/m ... luids.html
Mom Of Five