Question for snackers and drinkers

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Post Reply
User avatar
palm_tree
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: Texas

Question for snackers and drinkers

Post by palm_tree » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:53 pm

First time poster here.

Sugar's not my issue. Neither is eating seconds. My downfall is snacks and beer and wine. I was wondering, among the experienced, did you see much weight loss if your issue was just snacking? (I realize drinking is okay, but I've decided to limit it to my S days.)

Thanks.

User avatar
~reneew
Posts: 2185
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: midwest US

Post by ~reneew » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:37 pm

Welcome!! Glad to have you here.

Yea! I have a salt tooth and I think that beer/wine and snacking go hand in hand. It's hard for me to not snack. I have come to a happy medium. I have an occasional glass of wine or beer with my supper, and save the rest for the S days. Safe all around. It's been working for me. I try to adopt the mentality that snacking just isn't an option.
:wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

User avatar
palm_tree
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: Texas

Post by palm_tree » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks, reneew. So far (three days), the snacking and drinking thing has been fairly easy. I'll have to see how I do five days in a row.

How long did it take you to lose the weight you have? Just want to get an idea of how it can be for me. Of course, I know my mileage may vary.

User avatar
marleah
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:47 pm
Location: Kansas

Post by marleah » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:01 am

I rarely drink, and when I do I limit it to weekends too. I guess I kind of go with a "no empty calories" policy on my N days.

I never really got seconds, so that wasn't ever my problem. I would have sweets every once in a while before starting No-S, but tried to keep it to a minimum. Snacks were my big issue.

By limiting sweets and snacks to the weekend, I've lost 20 lbs since January of this year, which is pretty impressive after not losing any / gaining slightly for the past 5 years or so.

I say cut out the snacks (and the alcohol, since you see that as a trigger for snacking), see how it goes for a couple of months, and if it seems like you're not losing, then maybe step it up a little and really look at what you're eating.
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

Kevin
Posts: 1269
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Question for snackers and drinkers

Post by Kevin » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:44 pm

I have a savory food problem, too. Cheese and crackers are heaven to me, particularly with a hoppy beer.

Snacks are often as caloric as full meals. Cutting out snacks will definitely reduce your caloric intake. It's not hard to believe that your daily snacks account for as many as 500 calories. Of course, you'll be eating more at meals if you stop snacking, but reducing your caloric intake by 300 calories should lead to some weight loss.
palm_tree wrote:First time poster here.

Sugar's not my issue. Neither is eating seconds. My downfall is snacks and beer and wine. I was wondering, among the experienced, did you see much weight loss if your issue was just snacking? (I realize drinking is okay, but I've decided to limit it to my S days.)

Thanks.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

User avatar
palm_tree
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: Texas

Post by palm_tree » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:19 pm

Valuable responses, all. Thanks everyone.

Grammy G
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:00 pm

Post by Grammy G » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:41 pm

remember..you can use your snack food as a plated meal if you are being tempted! So plate that cheese and cracker tray..maybe add fruit and/or veggies..sounds like a nice lunch or dinner with your two glasses of wine or beer... nothing wrong with that!
One day last week, I was so hungry for pretzels and dip..so I had them for lunch along with a variety of veggies to dip also. I'm sure I didn't eat as much dip as I would have if I had eaten it right from the carton with a bag of pretzels in my one hand. I put what I thought was reasonable amount of dip on a plate, added some pretzels, and filled the plate with veggies. i satisfied my craving for dip without eating half the carton and didn't consume a whole bag of pretzels. Give yourself permission to really enjoy what you are eating and don't eat anything you don't enjoy! Relax and don't give yourself too many rules. This is a plan you can live with!! :D
PS Read the Book Listen to the pod casts :idea:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

User avatar
~reneew
Posts: 2185
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: midwest US

Post by ~reneew » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:04 pm

palm_tree wrote:Thanks, reneew.
How long did it take you to lose the weight you have?
You can read all about it :roll: in my check-in, but the quick number list is on page 1 of my check-in. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Kevin
Posts: 1269
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Post by Kevin » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:34 pm

That's great advice, GrammyG.
Grammy G wrote:remember..you can use your snack food as a plated meal if you are being tempted! So plate that cheese and cracker tray..maybe add fruit and/or veggies..sounds like a nice lunch or dinner with your two glasses of wine or beer... nothing wrong with that!
One day last week, I was so hungry for pretzels and dip..so I had them for lunch along with a variety of veggies to dip also. I'm sure I didn't eat as much dip as I would have if I had eaten it right from the carton with a bag of pretzels in my one hand. I put what I thought was reasonable amount of dip on a plate, added some pretzels, and filled the plate with veggies. i satisfied my craving for dip without eating half the carton and didn't consume a whole bag of pretzels. Give yourself permission to really enjoy what you are eating and don't eat anything you don't enjoy! Relax and don't give yourself too many rules. This is a plan you can live with!! :D
PS Read the Book Listen to the pod casts :idea:
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Post Reply