2 things I learned on Thanksgiving

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

2 things I learned on Thanksgiving

Post by ~reneew » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:54 pm

I always say... Live and learn. I make stupid mistakes, everyone does, but we need to learn from them or we risk doing it again. So, I'm here to tell you the 2 things that I learned on Thanksgiving. You may have learned them already, but it took me a while. Eating shouldn't hurt. Giving thanks to God for his bountiful blessings, while stuffing until I hurt is stupid. That's not what the original point was. It was to give God Thanks.

Next... never never weigh yourself on Thanksgiving Night. Never.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

noni

Post by noni » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Good advice, Renee: While giving thanks to God for the food, don't be a glutton :roll: As far as the Thanksgiving night weigh-in, I was always too much of a coward to try that one!

wosnes

Re: 2 things I learned on Thanksgiving

Post by wosnes » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:41 pm

~reneew wrote:
Next... never never weigh yourself on Thanksgiving Night. Never.
The day after isn't a good idea, either. Wait at least until Monday -- or the next week if you can!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Lol!

My husband says it's imperative to exercise the day after T-day, before the food has a chance to become fat. I don't know if the scientific evidence supports that... but hey, it can't hurt! :)

Starla

Post by Starla » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:18 pm

What I learned is that Thanksgiving is about eating food you enjoy with people you love. I got either food poisoning/stomach flu on Friday night and spent most of Friday night with my head over a toilet. On Saturday, while everyone else was building a bonfire, I was huddled in a blanket on the couch sipping water. When they came back in to bowls of chili and a homemade apple pie (with ice cream), I was still in my blanket nibbling a saltine cracker. I weighed myself this morning - and I've lost 4.5 pounds since Thursday morning. And this was one of my worst Thanksgiving holidays ever!

So to anyone who's worried about weight gain over the holidays, would you have wanted to change places with me? I don't think so. This made me realize I will NEVER let a scale affect my enjoyment of a holiday.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:32 pm

Starla, I'm so sorry - those bouts are awful! Hope you are feeling better, and did manage a little quality family time.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:07 am

I love your lessons learned! I learned that since I was given the permission to eat as much as I wanted...i didn't want to!! :lol: I had eated (thank you to all who commented) my fill of stuffing when I cooked the main parts of the dinner early and..mmm... that was enough! WooHoo!
I was also reminded that we always need to "expect the unexpected". i thought I had everything under control for a family lunch..a dinner with just adult friends..a birthday celebration...a quiet dinner for two..all on Thurs. and Fri. But a grandchild ended up in the ER after eating a piece of pecan (yep..she has had nuts before) and that sure threw a monkey wrench in all the plans! Instead of going crazy because of the changes, I decided to have a Southern Comfort Manhattan and sit down..put my feet up and see how the events played out. And everything did work out. :D On to XMas!!!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim