aha moment!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mrsj

aha moment!

Post by mrsj » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:11 am

I've discovered that i'm a sugar addict. I can't be satisfied with one piece of anything, or a tiny slice of cake. No! I want the whole thing! So, I've decided to go cold turkey and have or do something else on my S days.
Sweets are my crutch and I really don't need a crutch to get through life. So, out they go. I'm just grateful that I'm not an alchoholic or a drug addict. Yesterday I ate some chocolate and felt no pleasure. All I could think of was MORE, MORE! So, the chocolate ended up in the trash, AND IT FELT GOOD!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

valerie_19s

Post by valerie_19s » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:18 am

Congrats! I hope I'm that strong willed as well! If I were in your shoes, I'd probably gobble up the chocolate before I can think of throwing it away!

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:39 pm

That's inspirational! I love it that you recognize you have a problem and you are actively doing something about it. I thought Thanksgiving weekend was going to be tough, but it really wasn't. The sweets were not as satisfying and I had a few bites instead of whole pieces and seconds. Yah for you!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:57 pm

Good for you on being able to recognize that in yourself and having the guts to do something about it! I've discovered I'm not enjoying the sweets as much as I used to, so I'm being much more moderate with my holiday treats so far.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:36 pm

I've found that if only a little is available, I'm satisfied with that. If there's more -- that's what will satisfy me.

There's something to be said for the way many Europeans handle the sweets issue -- they don't make or keep them at home. When you want it, you go to the bakery/patisserie and buy only what you need. It's still possible to overdo, but it's not as probable as it is here.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:23 pm

Good work however completely banning any particular food item rarely works for most people ... what usually happens is you get a bit obsessed with the particular item and then you go a lil' nutz later on, gettin' frustrated, binge eating ...

Maybe trying to eat the item in moderation is a better long term option. A lil' bowl of ice cream won't hurt you in the long run but if you can't stop before the container is empty, there's a problem. It's something to improve, you could try different things to help you get rid of this issue. Use your imagination to come up with solutions and then see what works best for you.

Good luck on your journey.

Having a bite or two ? That's something I was always doing when I was losing weight actually ... I called it MICRO-BITING and it worked for me most of the time. If I got obsessed with cookies for example, I would have just one cookie and this way I would get a taste of the cookies but not all the calories as if I had eaten 12 cookies in a row within 5 minutes. It would calm me down and I would be ok only having had 50-80 extra calories from the single cookie.

Later when I was having issues with cookies again and micro biting was getting tougher to stick with I just switched cookie brands and I avoided buying the tasty chocolate chip cookies I craved .... Now, I buy really plain cookies instead and I'm much better at handling the cookie cravings ... this twist also helped me. I haven't banned all cookies, I just have another kind and I'm fine really.

You see, you try something and if it works for a while, great ... if it stops working you come up with something else, rinse and repeat.

(Mmmmmmmmm ... why do I usually crave chocolate chip cookies, lol !)

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

37 Years Old. 5'10" Tall.
Nov. 1st 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st 2009 : 190 Pounds (1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:18 am

I'm not banning sweets from my S days, they just don't do anything for me. If it doesn't give me that "wow, this is really worth waiting for" feeling, why bother?

I just love pizza, french fries, chips and beer. I don't consider these food, so there are plenty of things to make my S days special.

I won't have time to take an S day this Saturday, so I'll really take revenge on Sunday. I'm going to curl up on the sofa with a really good book which I have already bought and do absolutely NOTHING but read and eat a pizza.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.