Legal Requirement for Nutrition Facts

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

connorcream

Legal Requirement for Nutrition Facts

Post by connorcream » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Howdy,
I emailed Amy's Ice cream for a request of the nutrition facts for their products in the stores. I have not heard from Amy's. Is there a legal requirement when selling food to the general public, in this case there are several shoppes in a couple of cities, to make available nutrition content?
Thanks,
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

lelovelady

Post by lelovelady » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:42 pm

I'd have to say probably not. If I understand it correctly, it's a restaurant serving a food product, and other restaurants don't always list their nutrition information. I know some do, because that's just the kind of society we live in now.

I think the bigger question is why do you need them? If you're on no-S, their nutrition facts don't matter. If it's an S day you're golden ... if it's an N day, ice cream is definitely a sweet and a no-no.

If you really need to know, if you do a google search for amy's ice cream nutrition facts you can find some sites which display things like that. And if you're counting calories, Amy's is probably definitely out of the question. It's a premium ice cream, which means about a gagillion calories a spoonful. You'd be better off going for Blue Bunny or something similar. But if you're going for taste, premium is the way to go. :)

Laura L.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:57 pm

lelovelady wrote:
I think the bigger question is why do you need them? If you're on no-S, their nutrition facts don't matter. If it's an S day you're golden ... if it's an N day, ice cream is definitely a sweet and a no-no.
Unless it's an issue with allergies or food intolerances, my motto is if I need the nutrition info or the ingredients list, it's not something I need to be eating at all.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:28 pm

lelovelady wrote:

If you really need to know, if you do a google search for amy's ice cream nutrition facts you can find some sites which display things like that. And if you're counting calories, Amy's is probably definitely out of the question. It's a premium ice cream, which means about a gagillion calories a spoonful. You'd be better off going for Blue Bunny or something similar. But if you're going for taste, premium is the way to go. :)

Laura L.
My calorie burn is 1362 rounded down to 1300 for a weight loss of 1-2#/week. I have lost almost 20# since October 2009 knowing this basic fact about myself. I budget my calorie allottment, much as I do with my money budget and plan accordingly. So Amy's isn't necessarily out of the question, if I account for it properly, which is what ik am trying to do. Same for purchases. If I have saved up the $$, and DH is in agreement, we buy it. I sometimes use analogies to money as a way of visualizing this process.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:30 pm

wosnes wrote:
lelovelady wrote: Unless it's an issue with allergies or food intolerances, my motto is if I need the nutrition info or the ingredients list, it's not something I need to be eating at all.
But this isn't my motto nor what my question was asking.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:16 am

Amy said her ice cream was closes to Hagen Dazs. She does the same thing by saving up for a splurge.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

lelovelady

Post by lelovelady » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:32 am

connorcream wrote: My calorie burn is 1362 rounded down to 1300 for a weight loss of 1-2#/week. I have lost almost 20# since October 2009 knowing this basic fact about myself. I budget my calorie allottment, much as I do with my money budget and plan accordingly. So Amy's isn't necessarily out of the question, if I account for it properly, which is what ik am trying to do. Same for purchases. If I have saved up the $$, and DH is in agreement, we buy it. I sometimes use analogies to money as a way of visualizing this process.
Coolness. :) I'm glad it's working well for you. Congrats on the terrific progress!

From a later post it appears you were able to get a reference. I'm glad she got back to you. When I did a google search I only found a couple of sites that only listed a few of the flavors. Hopefully comparing it to Hagen Dazs will help.

Geeze, now I want some ice cream. :)

Happy budgeting and eating!

Laura L.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks for the input. Amy did respond but it is curious to me from other posters on other sites that this information is not required by law but the vast majority of food bought has labeliing as well as a fair number of restaraunts. Maybe requirements for food purchased is different than a shoppe. Also one pointed out, that it is a large expense for a small business to under take as opposed to a large chain.

So then I had to weigh a local enterprise versus those who publish this information, albeit inaccurate at times, and rewarding good behavior I find useful.

Yes, I am happily budgeting.

All the best to you and yours.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:48 pm

connorcream wrote: My calorie burn is 1362 rounded down to 1300 for a weight loss of 1-2#/week. I have lost almost 20# since October 2009 knowing this basic fact about myself. I budget my calorie allottment, much as I do with my money budget and plan accordingly. So Amy's isn't necessarily out of the question, if I account for it properly, which is what ik am trying to do.

I don't quite see how this fits into No S, which is based on forming habits that will last a lifetime and not doing any accounting at all. Reinhard calls calorie counting an "unsustainable behavior".
~ Laura ~

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:15 pm

TunaFishKid wrote:
connorcream wrote:
I don't quite see how this fits into No S, which is based on forming habits that will last a lifetime and not doing any accounting at all. Reinhard calls calorie counting an "unsustainable behavior".
Reinhard also says "Don't be an idiot" Being an idiot presupposes one has knowledge and then chooses to ignore it. For me, to make intelligent, hence not idiodic choices, requires me to one know what my body needs, in this specific case my calorie burn, and two what calories are present in the foods I eat so as to meet parameter one.

Today I weighed in at 172.2- down a full 20#- since Oct 6 2009- since I started making more informed eating choices. So I think it would be contrary to NoS to take a mod that is obviously working quite well for me and discard it.

Of course, you are free to do what works best for you. Best wishes on your journey.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:15 pm

TunaFishKid wrote:Reinhard calls calorie counting an "unsustainable behavior".
People differ. Image
What is acceptable, and even enjoyable, behavior for some people, is not for others.
I have developed a Habit of recording all of my food into a computer software food journal,
which counts all my calories,
and I've learned to enjoy counting calories in that way.
My computer journal tells me that, as of today, I've done this every day for the past 1949 days.
That's every day from 9/20/2004 to the present.

Personally, I call that "sustainable behavior", Image
and I intend to continue the Habit as long as I live.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:28 pm

connorcream wrote: Reinhard also says "Don't be an idiot" Being an idiot presupposes one has knowledge and then chooses to ignore it. For me, to make intelligent, hence not idiodic choices, requires me to one know what my body needs, in this specific case my calorie burn, and two what calories are present in the foods I eat so as to meet parameter one.

Today I weighed in at 172.2- down a full 20#- since Oct 6 2009- since I started making more informed eating choices. So I think it would be contrary to NoS to take a mod that is obviously working quite well for me and discard it.

Of course, you are free to do what works best for you. Best wishes on your journey.
Well, I don't think that's what was meant by "don't be an idiot", but... whatever floats your boat.
~ Laura ~

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:36 pm

BrightAngel wrote:
TunaFishKid wrote:Reinhard calls calorie counting an "unsustainable behavior".
People differ. Image
What is acceptable, and even enjoyable, behavior for some people, is not for others.
I have developed a Habit of recording all of my food into a computer software food journal,
which counts all my calories,
and I've learned to enjoy counting calories in that way.
My computer journal tells me that, as of today, I've done this every day for the past 1949 days.
That's every day from 9/20/2004 to the present.

Personally, I call that "sustainable behavior", Image
and I intend to continue the Habit as long as I live.
There are a lot of great things about No S, but calorie counting is definitely not one of them. If your calorie-counting weightloss system is working for you, though, then more power to you. :)
~ Laura ~

lelovelady

Post by lelovelady » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Well, I see both sides of this particular argument.

The thing that attracted me to No S is that I don't have to count ... points, carbs, calories, nose hairs, purple baboons ... but then again I'd rather poke a stick in my eye than do math. :)

If the counting thing works for you ... go forth and multiply (so to speak) :D

I think the best thing I've discovered about this diet is there's no "right" or "wrong". It's what works for you.

And I still really want some ice cream. And to staple shut the lips of whoever put out the cheesecake in the breakroom. I was fine as long as it was hidden in the fridge, but it being out on the table is driving me insane. Is it Saturday yet?

Laura L.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:50 pm

TunaFishKid wrote:
connorcream wrote: Well, I don't think that's what was meant by "don't be an idiot", but... whatever floats your boat.
I must have been an idiot because I gained 12# over the course of a year by following vanilla NoS and not using my scale relying soley on the fit of my clothes. Becoming informed about my body and food, has allowed my to be at a weight I haven't been at in 3 years. And this occured over one of the most difficult times of the eating year- right after Halloween, through Thanksgiving, past Christmas, celebrating New Years, until now. One week, I had 4 major events centered around food, and every week, has had at least one.

I am very happy counting calories with my app and syncing to the computer. Very lttle math is required. As I type DH is driving up and we are heading out to dinner, Boudros Bistro on the River, with president of small college and his wife from VA. This type of entertaining is a stable in my life and one plate just doesn't cut it.

All the best to your journey.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year

lelovelady

Post by lelovelady » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:29 pm

[quote="connorcreamI am very happy counting calories with my app and syncing to the computer. Very lttle math is required. As I type DH is driving up and we are heading out to dinner, Boudros Bistro on the River, with president of small college and his wife from VA. This type of entertaining is a stable in my life and one plate just doesn't cut it.

All the best to your journey.[/quote]

App? Is this like an iPhone application, or something similar? It sounds interesting, not that I have an iPhone (don't get me started on AT&T), but I lust after one and really love all their little gidgets and gadgets.

And guys, not to sound like a Mom or anything ... but I think we're getting a little off topic of what was originally intended, and maybe getting close to stepping on people's toes.

Let's just all agree to disagree on the calorie counting thing, and agree that anything that works well for an individual is a good thing, even if that same thing wouldn't necessarily work well for another individual.

Okay? :?:

Laura L.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:04 pm

lelovelady wrote: App? Is this like an iPhone application, or something similar? It sounds interesting, not that I have an iPhone (don't get me started on AT&T), but I lust after one and really love all their little gidgets and gadgets.

Laura L.
I have an iTouch, not an iPhone. Apps is short for applications and I use 2 currently, LoseIt (free) and Nutrition Menu ($2.99). I also use Fitday for other tracking abilites- such as body measurements taken over time, moving averages on calorie counts, and of course weight trends. LoseIt syncs to my Mac and imports all my nutrition data.

I do not need internet connection to use either app, the iTouch is portable, and in the case of Nutrition Menu, I can plan ahead. This ability to plan my meals ahead of time, as opposed to being in the moment of an event, has been tremendously helpful.

Last night was a case in point, this weekend's activities, and the past holidays are yet another example of needing future thinking capabilities.

Best wishes on your journey.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
Maintaining a year