On habits

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

On habits

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:38 pm

Wonderful post at Zen-habits about the "one deadly sin" of habit-change:

http://zenhabits.net/2010/02/deadly-sin/

Very applicable to No-S.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:29 pm

That's great!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:39 pm

I need to print this up. This is exactly how I've been with No S. I just do it, and it's worked wonderfully for me. But I am nowhere close to this when it comes to exercise, and I just haven't been able to make the transition to habit. In the back of my mind I've known I maybe need less encouragement and more butt-kicking; this article might help me to stop making excuses and start moving.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 am

Ok, this is so me - thanks for posting this.

I joined here in Sept 2005 and while my brain knew this was the right thing I managed to NOT follow it consistantly till the begining of 2009 and managed to gain nearly 5kg (11lb).

2009 I stuck with No S. If I fell off, I got right back up and carried on. Some days and weeks I really felt I was fighting a losing battle, but I continued and by the end of the year I had lost 4kg (8.8lb).

2010 - January I maintained and February I lost 1.1kg (2.4lb). And the best part is it is no longer a battle. No S is just something I do - I am easily able to say no thanks, save me some for the weekend when offered sweets by the family.

Just focusing on following No S has lost me 5.1kg (11.2lb) in 14 months - this is the same wait I managed to gain in just over 4 years while not following anything except bad habits.

I am now trying to apply the same attitude of just do it (even if it is only 5 min) to exercise. I know if I just do it I will develop a habit which is just part of life and just something I do naturally.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:27 pm

I really like the "tips" for avoiding the deadly sin of "not doing it."

My favorite:
If you fail, don’t beat yourself up – do it the next day. Let’s be clear: missing one day won’t kill your habit. Feeling discouraged about missing one day, and then missing the next and the next, is what will kill the habit. So let go of the guilt and just get back on your horse. Start again, immediately.

(Perhaps because this was the hardest for me to learn...and I still am.)