I really hope this works for me!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

becky123abc

I really hope this works for me!

Post by becky123abc » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi everyone! I'm 42 years old...and I've fluctuated between 160 and 200 pounds since about 1990! The times I've been at the low end are due to Low-carbing, one try at Jenny Craig, and another at Nutrisystem. I also tried the WeighDown workshop...but I wasn't very successful at that at all.

LC, JC & NS did work for me...but I could not maintain my loss. :(

I really have issues with food...and eating because of reasons other than hunger.

On the LC BB I read, I read about the Fast 5 plans and the Alternate Day diet...so while looking for books on Amazon about those...I came across the No-S book. The reviews looked so great...I ordered it and stuck it aside when it came in....

Now months later...I found it and read it. Boy, this makes a lot of sense...and I just finished my 5th day. My plates may have been a little too full ...but I did obey the rules...easily...

I feel like I can do this...I just hope I can lose weight while I do it. All the info about snacking was so interesting to me...I was snacking so often throughout the day...that I really didn't enjoy my meals.

When I'd make the sandwiches in the morning for my childrens' lunches, I'd eat the crust...grab some cookies here and there...just mindless snacking...

The thought of NOT being controlled by my cravings sounds almost too good to be true...but I'm going to give it the month try that the book recommends.
I'm looking forward to learning more about you all and your experiences.

Thanks for reading!
Becky

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Welcome and good luck! I do think you need to be aware that weight loss, especially for women, can be slower on this program than many (most?) others. However, because you're building habits you can live with for a lifetime, it's easier to maintain the weight loss. And, once you've lost the weight, you don't do a thing differently than you did to lose it. Basically, these are the good eating habits people had 40+ years ago when almost no one was seriously overweight.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

becky123abc

Post by becky123abc » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks wosnes! I really have enjoyed the book...it is so easy to read and understand.

One thing that really popped out at me was that this is the way skinny people eat!

I've often wondered how certain people I know (who are very lean) can eat half of their meal at a restaurant and call themselves satisfied! I would love to get to that point. I do want to learn these good habits and have them become part of my life from now on.

Thanks for the heads up about the weight loss being slow. I will be prepared for that...if I'm not gaining...i will consider that a success!

Now I'm off to figure out that habitCal thing... :lol:

wosnes wrote:Welcome and good luck! I do think you need to be aware that weight loss, especially for women, can be slower on this program than many (most?) others. However, because you're building habits you can live with for a lifetime, it's easier to maintain the weight loss. And, once you've lost the weight, you don't do a thing differently than you did to lose it. Basically, these are the good eating habits people had 40+ years ago when almost no one was seriously overweight.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:10 pm

I'll admit to being one of those folks who never cleans my plate at a restaurant. They serve too much food. There's only one restaurant where I consistently clean my plate and it's because they don't serve huge portions. I always get doggy bags -- and I'm known for forgetting them!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Welcome!

:)

This is such a sane way to live. I came here just as I was starting re-gain weight yet AGAIN... so, I didn't really lose a lot of weight on it, because at that point I needed maintenance. However, just being able to step off the lose-gain-panic cycle has been invaluable to me.

And there are people who've lost quite a lot - just don't expect crash-diet-type results.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:16 pm

I'm going to recommend giving it two 21-day streaks to judge. I fell off several times over a year after a 21-day streak. Also, I believe it takes longer than 3 weekends to get over worrying about the abandon. I've definitely gone up after every weekend, but my overall weight is down and my pants are getting looser. I bought a bigger size just around Christmas and they are almost too big now. I can zip a few pairs up on the top shelf that I could barely pull up over my bottom at Christmas. If I get in them by May and STAY there, I'll be happy. And I really believe I'll be in a size smaller than that by next Christmas. I think someone who had more to lose would do even better, depending on how much she/he likes vegetables more than dense carbs.

I've spent more time reading about and trying to implement plans to counteract binge eating rather than strict dieting, but I've followed diets, too. This seems to incorporate all the best features. I spread my meals, so I experience true hunger and eat enough to satisfy myself. I eat delicious food, but don't want to make my whole meal out of rich food just because a smaller amount tastes better and feels better. I'm going to a potluck this afternoon, an S-day, and am looking forward to enjoying myself without fearing that I will be a pig against my better judgement.
I do get hungry and I'm finding I like it, sometimes purposely waiting an extra 30-60 minutes to eat. I'm feeling like this is a very sane, natural way to live. Give it a real chance.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

becky123abc

Post by becky123abc » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:45 pm

THanks oolala and KCC...it's so helpful to read the experience of others! I'll be glad when I've been around long enough to help someone! :wink:

Starla

Post by Starla » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Welcome, Becky! It sounds as if you're off to a great start!

If it helps to read about others' experiences, I strongly recommend the daily check-in threads. When I started I found it especially helpful to read the long-termers with lots of pages (because I figured they'd found a way to stick with the plan) and the threads of people who started around the same time as I did (because we were going through the same things). It's also helpful to post your own thread - before you know it, you'll be able to inspire yourself when you go through a rough patch.

As far as helping others, I'm sure you're already doing that! As I post this, your thread has 132 views. I imagine some of those are from people considering this diet; your enthusiasm is sure to help someone make the change!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Welcome!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:10 pm

I hope this works out well for you!

I have done all the other diets, and I couldn't ever stick with them. Sure, in the old days I could stay on them for a couple of months and lose 20 pounds, but then I would go off them and gain it all back. Before I started No S, I had terrible, terrible food cravings and would binge every day on sugar, carby stuff. I was very afraid of my S days, because I thought it I allowed myself one chocolate, I would eat a whole box. That hasn't been the case.

I've had good results during the week by treating my meals almost like appointments. By specifying "time to eat" during the day, it sort of makes the rest of the time "not time to eat." After a few days, I felt much freer because I sort of had time to do other things because I wasn't constantly eating on something. And of course, it feels nice to go to bed not being sick and bloated from eating treats all night. When you really get into the habit of breakfast, lunch, and dinner, after a while trying to eat when it's not those times will feel weird and foreign.

As for my S days, if I want something sweet or snacky, I tend to go someplace and order it, instead of buying stuff to take home. I love chocolate, but instead of buying a big box of cheap stuff (which will sit on the shelf and tempt you) I go to the gourmet chocolate shop and order one or two truffles. They taste better, feel more like a treat, and don't living in my pantry to tempt me during the week.