Don't know what to eat without snack food!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

clescop

Don't know what to eat without snack food!

Post by clescop » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying No S in full force starting today after using it on vacation the last four days. I just realized that I want to be able to eat at restaurants or that I want to be able to cook normal meals for my husband and me without analyzing the points in everything! Although I had success with Weight Watchers for 9 months, I gained all the weight back when I moved and started a new job, etc. and I've been struggling for about 8 months now. I had been thinking the problem was me - all I needed to do was stick to the plan - but I also know, deep down, that my problem is my compulsion to eat. I really like the idea of dealing with the habit first and foremost. That is my huge problem. Unfortunately, after over a year of looking at foods in terms of points and grazing through the day on 1-3 point foods, I have no idea what a normal meal consists of! Sad, right? I have been living off of snacks in small portions (a packet of instant oatmeal, one yogurt, one small bowl of cereal, an apple), and I don't know how to combine them to make up a lunch. I guess just put them on my plate till the plate is full?? Dinner is easier because I'm planning on cooking more "real" food that is not in separate items.

Also, do you all think yogurt with artificial sweetener, like Yoplait Light, is an S? Not sure about that one...it's definitely sweet, but also filling and has protein...hmm

Thanks for listening!

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:16 pm

I would avoid anything "diet" like Yoplait; if you need yogurt, why not get some Brown Cow brand? No artificial anything, and it's a lot better and more filling than the diet stuff is.

I try to fill my plates with a mix of protein, fat, and at least one veggie. I live alone and don't cook big meals, so for breakfast I usually have Raisin Bran and whole milk, OR a whole wheat bagel with cream cheese and coffee. For lunch, I really like grilled cheese (I always use cheddar or swiss, on whole grain bread) with a pickle and some salad, or I will heat up some canned corn. For dinner, I will either have a Healthy Choice All Natural meal with a slice of whole grain bread and butter, and some whole milk. OR I will heat up a chicken patty and put it on a whole-grain bun with some BBQ sauce. For sides, I like pinto beans, corn on the cob, fresh green beans with lemon juice, or lima beans. Every now and again, I will make my own hamburger out of lean beef with a whole grain bun.

By making sure you get a lot of different things on your plate, it's easier to be full and ensures you get all the vitamins and protein you need. I don't count calories, but since I make most of this stuff at home I can be sure I know what's going in it and can keep portion sizes under control.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:09 pm

RJLupin wrote:I would avoid anything "diet" like Yoplait; if you need yogurt, why not get some Brown Cow brand? No artificial anything, and it's a lot better and more filling than the diet stuff is.
I agree about the Yoplait and most flavored, light yogurts. I buy either Fage or Trader Joe's brand Greek yogurt and add what I want to it. Again, no artificial flavorings and it's filling. Berries are good in the yogurt and I often eat it with some honey and nuts -- kind of a Greek way of eating it.

I don't always eat breakfast; I've just never been much of a breakfast eater. If I do feel like I need breakfast, it's toast and some kind of seasonal fruit.

My lunch is nearly always soup, bread and a piece of fruit. Sometimes I add a simple green salad or some raw vegetables. For me, any combination of soup, salad, and sandwich works. That's what I think of as "lunch food."

At dinner I plan for 1/4 of my plate to be meat, fish, or poultry; 1/4 starch, and 1/2 vegetables. If I have a salad, it's usually on a separate plate or bowl and is in addition to vegetables on the plate (that's not strict No-S, but how I do it). If the main dish is a mixed dish like a casserole or lasagna, etc., I plan on it being 1/3 of the plate with the rest vegetables. I'm not sure why, but I rarely eat bread at dinner. I also often have some kind of fruit -- also not on the one plate.

I missed the one plate rule when I started and once I realized it existed couldn't see a reason to change what I was doing.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Welcome, clescop. It's great that you've decided to give NoS a try; I think you'll find it to be a very sane, satisfying way to enjoy food.

I'm a bit confused by your question. Are you looking to make up a meal out of small snack-like foods? Or have you become so used to eating snack-like foods instead of meals that you're not sure how to make a meal out of "meal" foods? Hopefully, your question is the latter--because I think one of the keys to success on NoS is treating each meal like a real meal by eating something that's satisfying and well-rounded. For lunch, here are a few ideas:

-A sandwich on whole wheat bread with a piece of fruit (if you want a little more, add about a plain yogurt or bit of cheese)
-A bowl of soup or stew with whole grain bread or a cup of soup with a slice of veggie pizza
-A meals-sized salad with a piece of whole grain bread
-Plain yogurt topped with granola and a piece of fruit

Hope this helps! Also, I second RJLupin's suggestion to avoid artificially-sweetened yogurts (or artificially-sweetened anything, for that matter). Instead, try plain yogurt with a drizzle of honey for added sweetness--much tastier and better for you.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:23 pm

STRICTLY by No-S guidelines, a meal is what fits on a plate and isn't clearly a sweet. (Sugar is not forbidden, just sweets on N days).

Now, of course in the real world you WANT to eat better than that.

A meal for me would be a hearty soup and maybe a salad, or meat, a starch like a potato and some rice and fill up the rest of the plate with veggies and/or fruit, or a couple of eggs, a sliced orange and some toast.

There's Reinhard's Optimized Oatmeal that he eats for lunch. I like it for breakfast. I am a Japanese lunchbox hobbyist (they're called Bento) and often have that for lunch.

Basically, if it fits on a plate and keeps you comfortably full until your next meal, you're golden.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

gemma52

Post by gemma52 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:52 pm

From all my reading breakfast is the most important meal especially if you are wanting to lose weight. And don't we all! Breakfast can be a poached egg on whole grain toast , friut with whole grain cereal and yoghurt. I agree don't use the diet stuff enjoy the real thing ! Today I had a fruit smoothie and piece of wholegrain taost with peanut butter.
Good luck !

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:31 am

I discovered a great breakfast recently that keeps me full for 6-7 hours. I have 1/2 cup of old fashioned oatmeal mixed with 1/4 cup of nuts, 1/4 cup of dried fruit, and either some cinnamon or a small splash of imitation vanilla extract. I'll also have either a piece of whole wheat toast with butter and some preserves, or a carton of yogurt.
Lunch is generally a sandwich, a handful of chips, a small portion of dessert (I'm not quite ready for Vanilla No S, so I make sure my dessert fits on my plate and just have it with lunch), an apple, and some raw veggies.
Dinner is generally 1/4 plate starch, 1/4-1/3 protein, and the rest veggies.

clescop

Post by clescop » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:07 am

Thanks, everyone! These were exactly the ideas I have been looking for. Thanks for being so specific, too. It seems so obvious, but I have been a crazy diet person for so long, trying to snack my way through the day to prevent deprivation. All it did was get me way too focused on food. Thanks for the great ideas. I'm looking forward to dinner tonight!!

Vegasgirl

Post by Vegasgirl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:09 pm

Two things that really work well for me are olives and deviled eggs. Like for breakfast I'll have two deviled eggs (1 egg total) and a slice of sprouted whole grain toast w/pnut butter. Then for lunch I have a sandwich and 10-12 olives.

I love olives and they really satisfy the craving for salty scacks since they are briny. It only takes a few to fill you up so you're not hungry until the next meal.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Unfortunately, after over a year of looking at foods in terms of points and grazing through the day on 1-3 point foods, I have no idea what a normal meal consists of! Sad, right?
Yes... but all too common these days. You're not alone in terms of where you're coming from (or where you're headed -- welcome!).
I have been living off of snacks in small portions (a packet of instant oatmeal, one yogurt, one small bowl of cereal, an apple), and I don't know how to combine them to make up a lunch. I guess just put them on my plate till the plate is full?
That'll work!

Traditional lunch food like sandwiches are also fine. Sounds like you might be in for some fun culinary exploration.
Dinner is easier because I'm planning on cooking more "real" food that is not in separate items.
Not a bad idea -- even for other meals, if you can swing it. Real food, and I'm not just talking about ingredients, but any food that feels like a bit of a production to produce or serve, isn't
just
(usually) nutritionally better for you, it isn't just more enjoyable, but it's also much more like to really satisfy you -- and on a level that isn't merely about physical hunger. Most of us don't overeat out of mere physical hunger. We overeat from a variety of emotional hungers. Nothing feeds those hungers like the pomp and circumstance of a real meal.

Reinhard

clescop

Post by clescop » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Reinhard, thanks so much for your input. That is such a good point. The quick on-the-go snacks do not satisfy emotionally. Sitting down to a meal and a nicely set table are huge! The last several nights I have done that I haven't even wanted to eat again after dinner. I felt full in every way. I'm very excited! Whenever I am wanting to snack during the day, I remember that feeling and realize I can have it all the time if I just wait...