Portion Control and the Role of Treats

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Portion Control and the Role of Treats

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:31 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this, but it makes a telling point about portion control and the role of treats even as little as 80-odd years ago.
We don't really have a history of how or when some-mores (or S'mores) were invented. Our records show only that they appeared first in our 1927 book Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts. The 1927 recipe for "Some More" calls for "16 graham crackers, 8 bars plain chocolate (any of the good plain brands broken in two), and 16 marshmallows."

"Some More"
8 sticks (for toasting the marshmallows)
16 graham crackers
8 bars plain chocolate (any of the good plain brands, broken in two)
16 marshmallows
Toast two marshmallows over the coals to a crisp gooey state and then put them inside a graham cracker and chocolate bar sandwich. The heat of the marshmallow between the halves of chocolate bar will melt the chocolate a bit. Though it tastes like "some more" one is really enough.
-- From http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcookies.html
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:40 pm

sounds like my S day breakfast today, without the marshmallow or crackers and with almond butter and peanut butter. Hey, it's only my 10th Saturday! But I felt like a Girl Scout eating my mess. Innocent, a bit naughty, and no desire to stuff myself.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)