Scientific study reinforces the No S diet method?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Finnigan

Scientific study reinforces the No S diet method?

Post by Finnigan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:04 pm

Edit, well it looks like this was discussed before ( http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6230 ), but here is some additional info on the method from the horses mouth, and how it applies to NoS.

During my morning commute today I heard something interresting on the radio. Scientific studies using lab rats has shown that junk food may be just as addictive as cocaine. Now please note, I have not read the scientific papers resulting from this experiment, I am basing this post on what the scientist himself said in an interview on the radio, and the small piece I link later.

Okay, that is the blurb. Now how does this apply to No S? Well, the scientist who ran the study discussed the METHOD of his experiment.

He took 3 groups of rats and fed them differently.

Group 1 was fed normal rat food at a normal rate.
Group 2 was fed as group 1, but with the addition of access to junk food for 1 hour a day.
Group 3 was fed as group 1, but with the addition of access to junk food for 23 hours a day.

The results in a nutshell were that Group 1 stayed normal rats and ate normal ammounts of food consequently taking in normal ammounts of calories.

Group 2 would bing on the junk food when available, BUT still pretty much took in a normal ammount of calories.

Group 3 did NOT binge on the junk food, but instead would SNACK throughout the 23 hours on the junk food and take in a greatly increased rate of calories and became obese.

Does this sound familiar? Snacking on junk food = obesity.

Now, we, being human beings, can use our intellect to limit our own exposure to junk food, or any food for that matter to 3 meals a day (no snacking.)

Does this sound familiar? Limit your exposure to junk food = No S.

Oh, I forgot to mention, apparently the rats continued to eat the junk food even if they received electrick shocks for doing so, AND when switched back to healthy food they resisted eating.

I'm sorry I couldn't find a better link, but here is some more info.
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/step-by- ... -fat-rats/

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:14 pm

I did a search for Mastering Leptin on this board and found that it was poo poohed by the gang here back in 2005 because the authors of it market supplements and because you had to buy the book when this No S site was free.

However, for those who fear the grandmotherly wisdom of No S, the author Richards reveals how much the study of the hormone leptin and its partners insulin and adreniline shows why 3 limited meals a day over a period of time makes your body run better and changes your relationship with food. He is not so lenient in recommending S days, but who knows how many people may have stuck to his plan longer with them?

Then again, though I adore No S and Reinhard, who knows how many have fallen by the wayside of No S because they didn't know to at least try more protein at breakfast or fewer carbs overall?

I got the book from the library, so it was still free. And I'm glad I bought Reinhard's book even though this site is free because much of the info I like to reread sometimes is all right there. Plus I like supporting him.

But I didn't have the real will to make No S stick until I had read some other info on restriction, bingeing, and the effect on the brain, and came to the conclusion that I was condemned to repeating that cycle or No S because I certainly wasn't going to live on a traditional diet for the rest of my life. That scientific knowledge gave me the strength at several crucial times, especially in the beginning, to fast until the next meal. I'm glad for both bodies of knowledge and wisdom.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Gia

Post by Gia » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 pm

• this is a very scary finding with major implicAtions. It seems to be suggesting that the neurological factor in food and weight loss is just as important as exercise and diet!! If you think about it, they are implying that fatty foods don't just make you fat because of their calories, but also because of their affect on your brain... Like a drug. Incredible! This was on CNN so I will try to post a link.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:31 pm

Gia, the info I mentioned earlier was just that: the effects of overeating and restricting "highly palatable" food on the brain. I thought "Ya just can't get around that. It ain't just opinion. It's your BRAIN we're talking about, and good luck getting around it." It appeared to me that gaps between meals, the ability to eat dense foods in moderation, and the way of limiting sweets on No S were very reasonable strategies to counteract the addicitive properties of some foods. Other than just completely abstaining from them, which isn't reasonable to me.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)