put the blinders on

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

put the blinders on

Post by ~reneew » Wed May 19, 2010 3:36 pm

As we head into the vacation season, I know many of us tend to blow it and just basically forget to even try to follow no S while on a vacation. I'm going on a little trip, and that's really really tough for me. I feel like tatooing the No S symbol on my hands and forhead to remind me not to snack and to tell others not to offer. I think I should come up with a better plan though.

Green fingernail polish??? It would remind me... nah, just a bit over the top for this girl.
A big no S sign on my billfold in my purse? That might help.

Anyone else have any suggestions for reminders for people who will try to forget they're trying to follow vanilla No S??? I need all of the reminders I can get and my hubby won't be any help.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

fb22

Post by fb22 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:07 pm

It's tough when one doesn't have support from the family.

I "remember" by reaching down and grabbing my spare tire. :wink:

If someone offers, try,"No thank you, I'm not hungry. You have mine."

Just pile a little extra on your plate (you don't have to eat it) at meal-times and you've got the extra evidence you need to support your claim.

Cheers!

-Frank

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed May 19, 2010 8:18 pm

I handle vacations in multiple ways...

If it's short, and I am not likely to have another for a while, I just make the vacation S-days.

But my vacations are usually longer than a few days. So, I do one of two things...
- Follow the usual pattern throughout.
OR
- For the duration, have one S-event per day.

If the second, the criteria is that is has to be "S-worthy" - not just something I'm eating because I can, but something I genuinely WANT. Make sense?

Factors in deciding... is this a place where the food is just food, or is it special/regional/reason-for-going? Am I going to be more/less active than usual?

So that's three options... Whichever you pick, I also suggest that you find wonderful aspects of the vacation (besides food) to focus on. Something that will make you feel that this is ENJOYABLE, not a trial.

Have fun!

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Thu May 20, 2010 6:05 am

What KCC said.

You could buy a leather cord and string a green bead on it. Attach it to your wrist.

You could get a cheap green worry stone and put it in your pocket and worry it often.

Every day that you've been vanilla, get yourself a small souvenir as a reward and memento of your trip.

Have a great time, and no matter what, don't beat yourself up.

Enjoy your vacation!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

paprad

Post by paprad » Thu May 20, 2010 7:02 am

After a fairly encouraging first week (many reds, but a lot of learning), I left with my family for a long awaited holiday - which had many days of long driving and days with strange timings (we went on a wild-life safari, which meant meal times went awry). I thought I'd be able to stick to NoS, but I found myself quite unable to - I was more ravenous than usual, unlimited buffets meant I gave in to desserts and seconds till finally I just gave up the ghost and said I would "start in earnest" when I returned. I guess I should just pick myself up and start without feeling depressed, but I cant help wondering if I should have exerted more willpower.
getting there

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu May 20, 2010 11:18 am

A wildlife safari sounds wonderful, paprad.

For future reference, Brian Wansink's practical and readable book Mindless eating includes some helpful tips for dealing with buffets. It's worth checking round the table for particularly delicious items before starting to load up a plate, as people who do a preliminary reconnaissance tend to eat less.

Try not to worry about the holiday: as vmsurbat says, "Mark it and move on".
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

paprad

Post by paprad » Thu May 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks, Too solid flesh - we saw lots of elephants and deer and wild boar and I tried not to notice that they seemed to spend all their time eating. :D

The buffet tip is a good one - on day 1 I found I was loading up and feeling overwhelmed - after a couple of days I tried to be more picky with what I was choosing and though I was not No-S-ing, I wasn't bingeing at least.

"Mark it and move on" has to be one of the wisest phrases - not just for dieting, but for life in general.
getting there

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:57 am

This may sound crazy, but I have a tougher time once I get home from a vacation! I have been known to lose weight on a vacation and, in the first two weeks I'm home, put that weight right back on! in fact, I just did it once again!! Spent the winter months away..lost weight...came back and immediately went crazy and put it back on again!! It is like I have proven I can do that..and so I stuff myself with sweets as a reward...I DO know better.. Here are my vacation tips (they work!): pack lunches when you can. there are grocery stores everywhere now and they usually stock cleaned veggies and fruits and sandwich fixins. Carry veggie snacks and fruit in a small cooler. If you are at a fast food restaurant..order a grilled chicken sandwich without the special sauce..ask for mustard on the side... eat 1/2 the bun. have a side salad with a little dressing added by you. Stick with simple breakfasts. don't eat after dinner. Don't eat unless you are hungry... don't finish the kids' meals.
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim