on my 2nd week and have a question about milk...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

satikat

on my 2nd week and have a question about milk...

Post by satikat » Thu May 27, 2010 12:56 am

I love milk. I drink it with meals like breakfast or PBJ sandwiches. I usually drink 1 or 2% milk.

the other night, I was hungry. I had water with and after dinner and I 3-4 hours after dinner I was dying for a snack.

so I had a glass of milk. Is that a snack?

what about chocolate 1% milk (homemade with regular syrup, not the premade stuff with corn syrup and chocolate flavoring)

I think choc milk would be a sweet and a snack, but i'm not sure about plain milk.

coming from grazing all day this has been an interesting change. am enjoying it so far, but am slightly worried about camping this weekend. I know Sat and Sun are S days, and I've decided Mon needs to be a special day as well, but I am concerned I'm going to go nuts over food!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 27, 2010 1:06 am

Regular milk is not a snack. In fact, it's one of the things you can have between meals. Chocolate milk is generally considered a sweet and/or snack.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

satikat

Post by satikat » Thu May 27, 2010 1:29 am

thanks for the quick response!

paprad

Post by paprad » Thu May 27, 2010 9:24 am

wosnes wrote:Regular milk is not a snack. In fact, it's one of the things you can have between meals. Chocolate milk is generally considered a sweet and/or snack.
Would that mean that milk has to be had unsweetened? Because sugar in tea/coffee is allowed, so why not sugar in milk?
getting there

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 27, 2010 10:15 am

paprad wrote:
wosnes wrote:Regular milk is not a snack. In fact, it's one of the things you can have between meals. Chocolate milk is generally considered a sweet and/or snack.
Would that mean that milk has to be had unsweetened? Because sugar in tea/coffee is allowed, so why not sugar in milk?
Because there's a lot more sugar in the flavored milks than we'd put in our coffee or tea. They have as much sugar as a can of soda.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

paulawylma

sweetened milk

Post by paulawylma » Thu May 27, 2010 11:48 am

In the book, Reinhard says that regular milk, even whole milk is not a snack, it is a beverage. He says that flavored milk is a sweet and allowed on exempt days. Your own taste buds are supposed to be the judge. I once brought a single serving of Silk Very Vanilla soy milk so I could have milk between meals at work (I don't do cow's milk). I took one sip and stopped in shock--it tasted so sweet. I checked the label and yes it had a lot of sugar added (in cane juice or some sort of "healthy" sugar). so I dumped the Very Vanilla and counted it as a red day--an accident but still a red day. Commerically flavored milk has way too much sugar not to be a sweet. However, I am one of those folk who consider homemade, low sugar hot cocoa as legal--and that's what I do at night when I need something extra. If you didn't use cocoa and make your own syrup, if you used a commerical syrup--then that's a sweet. When I make hot cocoa, I only use 3-4 teaspoons of sugar (I use 2 teaspoons of cocoa) for a 12 ounce mug (depending on whether I use soy milk or goat's milk. That's about what most people put in coffee or tea. So, if you make your own syrup and cut the sugar down to 2 teaspoons of sugar for each teaspoon of cocoa and then added the amount of hot water to make your syrup the right consistency--then I would consider that legal. It won't taste the same as the commerical stuff and it might take you awhile to get used to it. It took me awhile to ease myself down to 3 teaspoons per mug--I did this before no-S though. Now I can't stand commerical hot cocoa or cocoa made by other people--too sweet, you can't taste the flavors of the cocoa and the milk with all that sugar. When I use goat's milk the extra flavor twist allows me to cut the sugar down futher. Good luck.
BTW, if you are just starting out on No S, don't worry about exempt days, get the normal days right first. Monday is an exempt day according to plain Vanila No S. Having 3 exempt days in a row can be a problem, but I feel that if you enjoy them then on Tuesday I can say, "Hey I had a great 3 day holiday, back to the normal days." But if I put extra restrictions on then it's, "Wow, I had 3 exempt days and I didn't eat. . . (fill in the blank) and now I really want and deserve . . . (fill in the blank). You may not have that problem, but I find it's best for me to keep exempt days exempt (even if there are several in a row) and normal days normal. FYI, last year, Opps I have to get to work!