Drinks

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lilguysmama

Drinks

Post by lilguysmama » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Was wondering what I'm able to drink on N-days? A person can only drink so much water a day. And I get my fill of it.

Thanks

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:09 pm

My personal favorites are:

1) Hot herbal teas (like Celestial Seasoning's Red Zinger). That's what I usually drink at work, because they over-air-condition, so hot drinks are good year-round

2) Seltzer water (no added sweetener at all) on the weekends

3) Water with a squeeze of lemon or a sprig of mint is also an option.

Tea is fine if you only put a teaspoon of sugar in - not the syrup that passes for sweet tea in my area.

I also drink coffee in the mornings (though I limit my consumption, for a number of reasons).

You'll probably get other suggestions too. Aside from cutting out the egregious offenders (non-diet soda being the most obvious), remember that it's a process, and "better that I was doing" can be "good enough" for a while.

paulawylma

Other drinks

Post by paulawylma » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:35 am

You can drink any nonsweet beverage. A couple of teaspoons os sugar that you put in yourself is OK. Fruit juice is not considered a sweet. In addition to coffee and tea and 100% juice you can drink unflavored milk including whole milk. Watch out for soy milk, I accidentally had an S day when I didn't realize how sweet Silk's Very vanilla is until I tasted it. So I try to stick with "original" soy milk or use goat's milk (I have cows milk issues).
In the book (p 57) in the No Snacks chapter, Reinhard lists beverages in this way, water, tea, coffee, milk, 100% fruit juice, diet soda and sugar soda. Sugar soda is definitely a sweet though and only allowed on S days. Diet soda is considered a gray area by some but I agree with Reinhard that it keeps you addicted to sweet tastes. Another gray area is low sugar homemade hot cocoa. This got me through the first three weeks because nightime is my toughest time. The idea is that if you use unsweetened baking cocoa and add only the same amount of sugar as you use in coffee or tea then it should be OK. Now that it is too hot for cocoa I'm switching to fruit juice or homemade pop (1/2 juice to 1/2 sparkling water unless it's a heavy juice like grape then 1/4 c juice to 3/4c sparkling water).

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:58 pm

I agree with what KCCC and paulawylma said. When I make my own hot chocolate (or latte/cafe au lait), I use substantially more sugar than I would use in tea or coffee. However, it's still significantly less than there is in prepared beverages.

I drink a lot of iced tea -- sometimes with lemon, but no sugar added. When it gets really hot this summer I'll make lemonade or limeade. Technically a sweet because there's a LOT of sugar. However, I only drink it with a meal and it's such a seasonal thing that I just don't worry about it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

lilguysmama

Post by lilguysmama » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:38 pm

I was wondering about lemonade. I like to drink lemonade. I'm not able to drink much caffine, I heart starts racing and I get the jitters.

Thanks everyone for you input.

OT

Post by OT » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:12 pm

I love lemon in everything,it tastes amazing and really curbs my appetite.Hot water with lemon, twinings cranberry and orange fruit tea with lemon,seltzer water with fresh lemon juice squeezed in,even hot water with lemon,salt,pepper and herbs as a kind of bouillion drink when I feel a bit peckish at night.

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Roiboos tea, fennel tea, lemon & ginger tea. But also regular black tea. The other thing I drink a lot of is cold water with sprigs of mint from my garden :)
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo