Recent media interview on Food Pyramid Dietary Guidelines

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

Recent media interview on Food Pyramid Dietary Guidelines

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Some of you might be interested in watching this interview.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/mornings/cel ... nes-071410
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Clarica

Re: Recent media interview on Food Pyramid Dietary Guideline

Post by Clarica » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:18 pm

BrightAngel wrote:Some of you might be interested in watching this interview.
I didn't buy his premise--that americans are eating as the food pyramid suggests. I don't know if the food pyramid is good enough, brilliant, or sub-standard, but I just don't think that people are fat because they are following it. Some might be, I grant you. :)

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:05 am

That was really good. Thank You BrightAngel. I know for myself, if I ate as much as the food pyramid tells me I need I would be as big as a house. I actually tried that and they wanted me to eat 1800 cal/day, if I'm remembering correctly. When I saw that, I knew that they were way off base.
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

wosnes

Re: Recent media interview on Food Pyramid Dietary Guideline

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Clarica wrote:
BrightAngel wrote:Some of you might be interested in watching this interview.
I didn't buy his premise--that americans are eating as the food pyramid suggests. I don't know if the food pyramid is good enough, brilliant, or sub-standard, but I just don't think that people are fat because they are following it. Some might be, I grant you. :)
I agree. I can't think of anyone I know who follows the food pyramid recommendations. I can think of a lot of people who couldn't tell you anything about the food pyramid -- from how it's organized to how many servings are recommended in each group.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

paulawylma

not objective

Post by paulawylma » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks for the link BrightAngel. I just watched the clip and I laughed when he claimed that Americans have been following the food pyramid. He makes a good point that different people have different needs and actually the last time I visited the usda website I couldn't just print out a list of requirements--I had to put in data so that it could be customized.

Dr Feinman kept talking about carbs and low fat foods as though that's all the food pyramind is. The food pyramid also tells people to eat fruits and vegetables (just two examples)--which I am confident that most of us are not eating enough of. I know I don't eat the minimum vegs and fruits on a daily basis--because I tried and unless I eat a salad or stir-fry everyday, I ended up short. :D

I clicked on the link to Dr Feinman's organization and it turns out that the society isn't as objective as it sounded. The only diet information they offer is low carb and the website repeats the mantra that the typical American Diet is High carb/low fat. That's not true, The typical American diet is high-processed carb/high fat/high sugar (yes, I know sugar is a carb but I wanted to distinguish it from grains and vegetable starches).

I'm glad that No S leaves nutrition to intelligent defaults rather than getting on one bandwagon or another.