Another reason to eat slowly and savor your food

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

Another reason to eat slowly and savor your food

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:08 am

I just read today in an old copy of Self (June 2010) that research shows that slim people start registering that they are getting full 10 minutes after they start eating; heavy people take 25 minutes. Choose foods that you have to really chew and chew them until they are liquid before swallowing. Pay attention to the flavor and changing texture as you chew. Don't have your fork or spoon looking like it's on a conveyor belt!

Just in case this applies.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:01 am

Don't have your fork or spoon looking like it's on a conveyor belt!
Ok, the above quote tickled my funny bone! :lol: I have always been an extremely S-L-O-W eater! Until the past 21 days. :shock: Since beginning NoS I am actually hungry at mealtime and am eating much faster than normal. Working on slowing down!!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Eating more slowly is especially important if the time you spend at a meal is determined by something other than when you feel like it's time to stop eating. The length of your meal times might be determined by other people who are eating with you, or it might be determined by the length of a TV show. The tendency is to keep picking at your food as long as it's there in front of you, even if you're not really hungry any more (I'm sure you've caught yourself doing this a few times). If A and B are sitting at a table for a fixed length of time and A eats faster than B, A is obviously going to eat more than B.

One solution, of course, would be to eat your meals alone, doing nothing but eating during the meal time, and only sitting at the table until you're full. That would be a tad drastic for most people, though. The other solution is to try to eat slower.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Actually, A is likely to eat more in the same amount of time IF s/he is heavy. Thin people will likely stop when they're full no matter what determines the length of the meal. My brother is famous for having half his food left on his plate no matter how long we all sit around the table. (I've also noticed that thin men especially eat pretty fast, and they can eat quite a bit. I think it's because they subconsciously know they will get full faster and they need to go pretty quick to get in enough calories. I'm just guessing.) He just quits eating at a certain point.

I almost always eat alone, and I often watch TV or use the computer, but I still savor my food and chew slowly (unless I'm pigging out, but I don't call that eating). And when I eat with others, they're often done long before I am. These behaviors may be linked, but we can un-link them. And if you're heavy, it will be to your benefit.

I think what Nicest said about leaving the table before one just sits and picks at the food is important, though just clearing the leftover food might solve that while still allowing for leisurely camaraderie.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:22 am

oolala53 wrote:I think what Nicest said about leaving the table before one just sits and picks at the food is important, though just clearing the leftover food might solve that while still allowing for leisurely camaraderie.
Or you could go sit in the living room to talk. The chairs there are generally more comfortable than dining room chairs, and there's not the temptation to pick at food (assuming you don't keep candy dishes or something like that in your living room).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:51 pm

The problem is in my family, they want to start doing the dishes before they move to another room. That ruins the mood! I get accused all the time of trying to get out of work. Hey, I'll do ALL the dishes, just later! I don't tend to keep picking, esp. after No S. I eat my plate of food. I was raised having serving bowls on the table, but I don't think I'd do it if I had kids, and it's not the way I do it when I entertain. There is no food available while we sit.

Actually, I brought this up more because people tend to eat too fast and end up eating too much, though I'm sure sitting with food in front of people is also an issue.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:41 am

I think you are right, Oolala - I had braces (and an inter palatal bar) fitted on my teeth this year and this made it very difficult to eat for a while. I had to eat small mouthfuls and chewing was very slow. This meant I knew when I was full and I got really bored with eating because it took so long. Result? I ate for the same amount of time as before but ate significantly less. This was when I really started to lose weight - and I didn't feel any hungrier between meals.
I'm now used to the braces so I'm eating more. I know when I start to feel full, but I keep on eating because I enjoy my food so much. I haven't put any weight back on, but I've stabilised. I suppose it's time to listen to those 'full feelings' :D