Longtime lurker, now convinced myself to join

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Chubbylawyer

Longtime lurker, now convinced myself to join

Post by Chubbylawyer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:34 am

Longtime lurker. I joined previously but forgot my usrname. Just haven't convinced myself to join because of mantra of other diets built into my head. Two things besides Reinhard have finally convinced me it's not the stuff but the amount if my dose that has made me 25 lbs. above where I want to be. First the Twinkie diet where a professor lost 25 pounds but consumed only 1800 calories a day of junk. Second is "What I Eat" a picture book. People around the world eat so many various foods yet manage to remain skinny. The few who are obese in the book describe times of binging. I think that might be the best thing about this diet because nothing is out of bounds but delayed or moderated. Links to what I have read below.

Hats off to Reinhard as well. Both the book and this site are very well written. He also is the rare author who participates and encourages those on this forum with no benefit to himself. Thanks. This us a great forum with very good encouraging people. Assume we are all different sizes and reminds one that weight is not the most important character trait in a human being.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/tw ... index.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref= ... 0984074406

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 am

Welcome!

Interesting links. Over the weekend I read: "Dieting is the price we pay for too little exercise and too much mass-produced food." The key words are now too much. The fact that it's mass-produced doesn't have much to do with weight loss. Health may be another issue.

Though I've seen other books by Menzel, I've not yet seen What I Eat. It looks like it would be very interesting.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Re: Longtime lurker, now convinced myself to join

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks for the Link. Fascinating Article.
"But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered.
Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent
and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent.
He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said.
"What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier?
Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint,
that we're missing something?"
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Kimbo

Post by Kimbo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Good reading, thanks for the links!

I resonate with your words... "mantra of other diets built into my head." I have a couple in particular very firmly wedged and it's hard to let go into NoS. Here's to success!
~*************~
Kim

SW 11/16 224
GW 130

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:04 pm

Welcome, Chubbylawyer.

Thanks for the links -- great (if somewhat disturbing) stuff.

Best of luck with No-S and keep us posted,

Reinhard