"Cheat days"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

DaveMc

"Cheat days"

Post by DaveMc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:09 pm

I've heard a number of people mention other diets, here, that have things called "cheat days" or similar. And it's got me to thinking: I would like NoS a whole lot less if the name "special days" ("S days") were replaced by "cheat days", even if everything else remained the same.

I think calling them cheat days is a psychological mistake: S days are *not* "cheating"! You are following a plan, and part of that plan is to legitimately reward yourself with occasional treats. Labelling this as cheating sets up a nasty tendency to think that you're staggering from cheat-opportunity to cheat-opportunity as you make it from one S-day to the next. It also creates the sense that you're doing something wrong.

So I guess what I'm saying, Reinhard, is: good choice of nomenclature! (Of course, I realize that it's chosen to maintain the "S" theme in the statement of the plan, but still ... in the book, as I recall, you were pretty careful not to use the "cheat" label.)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:39 pm

I agree. If nothing else, "cheat" has a negative connotation. When do you cheat and it's a good thing? It's always implies you're going to get caught doing something bad.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."