"s" days seem hard for me

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

larry ziegler

"s" days seem hard for me

Post by larry ziegler » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:04 pm

I'm afraid I'll overdo it, but yet don't want to deprive either.

plus, I just began the diet,+it's the holiday season :(

Oh well :(
Am in a wheelchair from a stroke 20+yrs ago;I've a great support system thank goodness. Although I don't have a weight problem-I COULD HAVE-being in a wheelchair+sitting all day. I now can gain weight very,very easily

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Yes, S Days can be difficult to navigate, but as you are new to this I would follow the advice to work on your N Days and not worry too much about S Days. They are not meant to be binge days...just an opportunity to eat something special and enjoy.

I can appreciate a little bit your challenges having to function from a wheelchair. I broke my foot after Thanksgiving and have to stay in wheelchair and hospital bed until the middle of January. Do you have upper body mobility? If so, do you have a regular workout routine that builds strength as well as cardio? I know I am not burning as many calories now since I am officially sedentary.
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Larry, take a deep breath and relax -- and don't worry in advance. Enjoy the holiday and if you overdo, take it easy the next day or two. Still three plates of food, but maybe lighter than normal if you've over done.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:00 pm

Yes, don't worry too much right now, but also don't be afraid of thoughts of deprivation. If you sincerely want to eat something and think you will enjoy it, go ahead. If you don't, don't dwell on ideas about missing out. I think that has been one of my mistakes. I keep eating on weekends because I think I can and will be sorry if I don't, but I've finally had a few times of just forgoing it because I knew it wouldn't be that enjoyable. Waiting to get hungry on S days is also very satisfying, too. In fact, I am starting to feel deprived of enjoyment when I eat when I'm not hungry.

I started a thread just for people struggling with wild S days. Unfortunately, probably not a lot of people will be checking in this weekend, but if it helps, just go there and post a little when you're on the fence. I've never been sorry I put off eating with posting. Sometimes it will help me think of something else to do with my time as well.

I've often paraphrased a therapist who spoke on drinking issues who said the real question is not why we eat, but what we would do if we didn't eat. Basically, we have to fill the time we would spend fixing food or eating it when we are not truly hungry with other activities. In the beginning, it may just be zoning out on a movie, but eventually, it can be any pleasurable or productive activity. Over a period of time, the unhungry urges for food will be paired with the new activities, and it will feel more natural not to eat in response to them. That's the brain explanation for habit, which is what Reinhard is all about. And he is right. However, I've had a problem with unstructured time, esp. on Sundays, for most of my life. This last weekend in 2010, I am thinking of it as the kickoff for handling this issue as a continuation of No S in 2011. I know it's the next piece in my puzzle.

I recommend giving No S from now, the beginning of winter, until at least the beginning of spring a good, solid chance. Three weeks is a nice beginning, but it's just getting things going.

Have a fabulous weekend!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

larry ziegler

I'm afraid I'll overdo it, but yet don't want to deprive eit

Post by larry ziegler » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:31 pm

THANKS JIM:I exercise on an exercycle, so can do sprints too!

thank you for the support,larry
Am in a wheelchair from a stroke 20+yrs ago;I've a great support system thank goodness. Although I don't have a weight problem-I COULD HAVE-being in a wheelchair+sitting all day. I now can gain weight very,very easily