POLL

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

larry ziegler

POLL

Post by larry ziegler » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:17 pm

DO WE NEED A SECTION FOR THE LISTING OF FOODS THAT ARE LOWER CALORIE ,BUT CONTAIN ONLY HEALTHY INGREDIENTS?
Am in a wheelchair from a stroke 20+yrs ago;I've a great support system thank goodness. Although I don't have a weight problem-I COULD HAVE-being in a wheelchair+sitting all day. I now can gain weight very,very easily

Nicest of the Damned

Re: POLL

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:38 pm

larry ziegler wrote:DO WE NEED A SECTION FOR THE LISTING OF FOODS THAT ARE LOWER CALORIE ,BUT CONTAIN ONLY HEALTHY INGREDIENTS?
A problem with this is that "healthy ingredients" is a tricky thing to define. For example, is salt a healthy ingredient? People need salt to live, and it is natural, but in excess, it is bad for you. There are lots of other ingredients that are beneficial or neutral in small quantities, but not so good in large quantities. Even water is harmful, in too-large quantities. How much you eat is at least as important as what you eat, if not more.

There's another problem with listing foods with healthy ingredients, however you define that. Some people take that as a license to consume as much as they want of those foods, whenever they want. That's not really compatible with the No S way of eating. Other people take that as saying "you should not eat foods that are not on this list", which leads to feeling deprived. People who feel deprived don't stick with their diet, at least not for long.

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:24 pm

I would vote against this. Not only is it impossible to define "only healthy ingredients;" the beauty of No S is that it's a sytem that includes ALL foods in moderation. Salads, veggies and fruit are a part of my No S experience, but so are cheeseburgers, asiago cheese bread and spaghetti with meatballs. The inclusion of all foods is what allows me to stick with this.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Starla wrote:I would vote against this. Not only is it impossible to define "only healthy ingredients;" the beauty of No S is that it's a sytem that includes ALL foods in moderation. Salads, veggies and fruit are a part of my No S experience, but so are cheeseburgers, asiago cheese bread and spaghetti with meatballs. The inclusion of all foods is what allows me to stick with this.
I would also vote against this. Here's why: I think all of the foods Starla mentioned are healthy. Fruits and vegetables are higher in nutrients and lower in calories than cheeseburgers, asiago cheese bread and spaghetti and meatballs, but that doesn't mean they aren't healthy. It also depends on where and how they're made. Some are far less healthy than others. Actually, one of the only places on earth that would consider those foods unhealthy is the USA.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:00 am

I don't think this would be appropriate for a No S thread. As Reinhard says, all foods are pre-approved. Also, I think most people here have come from the dieting world and are relatively savvy about what's low cal.

But out of curiosity, did you mean foods like brands of frozen foods/ meals? recipes? I mean, beyond knowing that vegetables and fruits are relatively low in calories and are considered healthy, what else might you think people would want to know about?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:36 pm

oolala53 wrote:I don't think this would be appropriate for a No S thread.
As Reinhard says, all foods are pre-approved.
I agree with the above-quoted post.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com