Taking a walk can help reduce cravings

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicest of the Damned

Taking a walk can help reduce cravings

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm

New York Times article, saying that research shows that taking a short walk can help reduce cravings, including food cravings:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/04/healt ... ref=health

If you're having food cravings that are tempting you to go off No S, this might be a good thing to do. It gets you away from the tempting food for a little while, and can even reduce your cravings afterward.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:03 pm

That is interesting -- and I've just recently found it to be true. The dog is lovin' the extra walks!

The Times has a series of articles called A Sustainable Life:

Tara Parker Pope on Love

Tara Siegel Bernard on Money

Mark Bittman on Food

James Gorman on Invasivores

David Pogue on Tech
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Good article by Mark Bittman! I hope it makes people get into the kitchen!
Eileen

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Eileen7316 wrote:Good article by Mark Bittman! I hope it makes people get into the kitchen!
I do, too, but I think that many of the people who would benefit most from reading that will never see it. Either it's just not something they read about, or they don't read the NYT online or in print.

I've been thinking about this for a long time. While all that's written is certainly useful, it's almost preaching to the choir. I think that TV might be a good way, kind of the "the more you know" spots or even in prime time shows. Better yet, each one of us who thinks cooking is important, teach it to someone else. It may actually be teaching someone to cook or just telling people that cooking at home, from scratch, isn't time-consuming, expensive or difficult (or, it can be as simple or as difficult as you want it to be).

I got an email from one of my daughters before Christmas. She was cooking and "blamed" me for turning her into a foodie because she doesn't want to eat processed foods anymore. The other one cooked her first Christmas dinner -- from scratch. It took me a bit to figure out why she didn't want us to bring anything, but then I realized that she wanted to do it all by herself. She did, however, ask how to make gravy! (Her gravy was actually better than mine!) I've done my job!

Okay, I have to brag a little bit. My daughter's grandfather (my ex's dad) died earlier this year. My daughters found out that their grandmother has been eating nothing but frozen dinners. Their Christmas gift to her was a little more than a month's worth of homemade frozen meals.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:55 am

Okay, I have to brag a little bit. My daughter's grandfather (my ex's dad) died earlier this year. My daughters found out that their grandmother has been eating nothing but frozen dinners. Their Christmas gift to her was a little more than a month's worth of homemade frozen meals.
Wosnes, what a wonderful thing for them to do! You have every right to be proud of those girls.

I was taught to scramble my own eggs at age 6 and I had to drag a chair over to the stove to do it! I have 2 grown sons, and when they were younger I taught them both some basics, and they are both fair cooks.

My youngest son does most of the cooking for himself and his wife; the older son used to do the cooking, but now that he's the sole bread-winner, his wife does it. It's funny, but she did not learn how to cook from her mother. She's mostly self-taught, with a few pointers from me thrown in, but you know how the mother-in-law, daughter-in-law relationship goes. I have to tread lightly. My sons tells me that she won't serve sides! The way he relates it makes me laugh, but when he says, "What's for dinner", and she says "Pork Chops", that's exactly what she means! Pork chops only! :shock:

I eat lunch with several co-workers most days, but they look at me as if I have 2 heads when I bring in leftovers for lunch. "How in the world do you have time to cook every night?", they all want to know. Well, we get off work at 3:30! How is time an issue? Even when I was a single mom with 2 kids I cooked dinner. It doesn't have to take more than an hour, tops. And that's WITH cleanup.

I've offered to teach some friends/co-workers how to cook, but so far, no one has taken me up on the offer. They love to eat my food, but don't have an interest in preparing it.

I'll get off my soapbox now, thank you very much. :oops:
Eileen

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:36 am

Thank you, Nicest, interesting article.

And wosnes, you must be proud of your generous, thoughtful daughters. They are a real credit to you.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:24 pm

Bittman is on the Today Show today making the three recipes from the article. Here's the video.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:22 pm

Here's another article with ideas similar to Bittman's:

Resolved: Eat Better, Not Less, for a Healthier Diet