Doughnuts

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sharpie

Doughnuts

Post by Sharpie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:45 am

I have a dilemma. It runs like this: yesterday, Sunday, was an S day and my birthday and my dad and I went to grab some doughnuts after getting brunch. I wasn't hungry at the time so I figured I would eat mine later. Apparently this is the best doughnut place in town. Later, I still wasn't hungry, so I figured, "Hey, I'll eat it for breakfast tomorrow, it will be perfect." This morning, I grabbed it and my coffee and headed to work. I realized as I was on my way that doughnuts are probably a sweet, and today was an N day.

But now what do I do? Do I eat it as a meal anyway? Throw it away? :( I really wanted to eat it, and if I would have thought about it, I would have stuffed it in last night even though I wasn't hungry. Which is not ideal either. But if I just throw it away, it's a) wasting it even though my dad bought it specially for me and b) I really want to eat it because they're supposed to be really good and it is my birthday doughnut!

This sucks. I feel like I can't win. But I don't want to start over on my 21 days. :( I felt so proud of myself yesterday because I didn't feel the need to stuff myself silly. But now I feel like I accidentally shot myself in the foot and am miserable about it. :cry:

Edit to add: This also means I did not eat any breakfast this morning. Which doesn't help my mood. I made it to lunch no problem, no weakness or snack attacks, just general grumpiness.
"If you only do what you know you can do, you never do very much.†-Tom Krause

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:25 am

I think this is a know yourself sort of thing.

I personally think that I would declare a singular "S exception event" for the birthday doughnut and use it to replace breakfast. This is because I'm 99% positive that it wouldn't derail me and because birthdays only come once a year (as opposed to S days which come weekly). So one conscious fail wouldn't be the end of the world.

However, 6 months ago, I personally wouldn't have had the same confidence in myself not to let a change derail myself. When I started on NoS, I was super strict with the rules. And at the time I needed the rigidity. But now, NoS has given me the confidence in my own decision making ability to be a little more flexible.

So I know that's not really an answer so much as an "it's up to you", but it's all I've got. Whatever you decide, good luck!
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

Kevin

Re: Doughnuts

Post by Kevin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:27 am

Freeze it until the weekend. Next time, eat the damn thing while it is an S day. :)

As a father, I give you permission to fib to yours and tell him it was delicious if he asks between now and then.

Oh, by the way, you did win, so don't think you can't, and you should continue to feel proud of yourself. As a father, I would be proud of you.

Two weeks from now, take him for a donut and make him smile for a week to think that his kid would do that.

See? Win/win.
Sharpie wrote:I have a dilemma. It runs like this: yesterday, Sunday, was an S day and my birthday and my dad and I went to grab some doughnuts after getting brunch. I wasn't hungry at the time so I figured I would eat mine later. Apparently this is the best doughnut place in town. Later, I still wasn't hungry, so I figured, "Hey, I'll eat it for breakfast tomorrow, it will be perfect." This morning, I grabbed it and my coffee and headed to work. I realized as I was on my way that doughnuts are probably a sweet, and today was an N day.

But now what do I do? Do I eat it as a meal anyway? Throw it away? :( I really wanted to eat it, and if I would have thought about it, I would have stuffed it in last night even though I wasn't hungry. Which is not ideal either. But if I just throw it away, it's a) wasting it even though my dad bought it specially for me and b) I really want to eat it because they're supposed to be really good and it is my birthday doughnut!

This sucks. I feel like I can't win. But I don't want to start over on my 21 days. :( I felt so proud of myself yesterday because I didn't feel the need to stuff myself silly. But now I feel like I accidentally shot myself in the foot and am miserable about it. :cry:

Edit to add: This also means I did not eat any breakfast this morning. Which doesn't help my mood. I made it to lunch no problem, no weakness or snack attacks, just general grumpiness.
Last edited by Kevin on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:33 am

It's a doughnut. Like Kevin said eat it on S Day (and revel). And lick your fingers. :lol:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:49 pm

The better doughnut, the less likely it is to taste good the next day. I think if you would have eaten it the next morning, you would have been disappointed in both the quality of the doughnut and for going "off plan" for such a crappy treat.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:The better doughnut, the less likely it is to taste good the next day. I think if you would have eaten it the next morning, you would have been disappointed in both the quality of the doughnut and for going "off plan" for such a crappy treat.
Most likely true. Doughnuts don't hold well.

In these kinds of situtations, it helps me to remind myself that "There will be nice food again." And there will. This not the only time in your whole life that you'll have an opportunity to eat a good doughnut. If you really wanted it, promise it to yourself for the very next S-day... and follow through.

Another useful thing I've learned (from having a "food is love" family) is that you can accept all the love without eating any of the food. :) You already had the important part of that doughnut - your dad's obvious love for you. Much more nourishing than the actual pastry.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:21 pm

Sharpie wrote:But now what do I do? Do I eat it as a meal anyway? Throw it away? :( I really wanted to eat it, and if I would have thought about it, I would have stuffed it in last night even though I wasn't hungry.
Eating something when you're not hungry is MORE wasteful, not less, than throwing food away.

Sharpie

Post by Sharpie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Nicest of the Damned wrote:Eating something when you're not hungry is MORE wasteful, not less, than throwing food away.
I agree actually. Just still bummed that I didn't get to follow through on a treat I was looking forward to because of poor planning on my part. It's currently in the freezer, waiting for Saturday. Yeah, I am sure it won't be as good as if it were fresh, but at this point it's more of an emotional stubborn thing than a delicious treat thing. Not ideal of course, but I am only going to fight so many battles at once and I have a thing about things that are 'mine.'

The ice cream sandwich I got handed Sunday afternoon right after the doughnut however, went back in the freezer and can stay there! I know I can find things I'll enjoy more than that and I wasn't hungry anyway. That one's just not worth any angst.
"If you only do what you know you can do, you never do very much.†-Tom Krause

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:11 pm

Sharpie wrote:Just still bummed that I didn't get to follow through on a treat I was looking forward to because of poor planning on my part. It's currently in the freezer, waiting for Saturday. Yeah, I am sure it won't be as good as if it were fresh, but at this point it's more of an emotional stubborn thing than a delicious treat thing. Not ideal of course, but I am only going to fight so many battles at once and I have a thing about things that are 'mine.'
I hope you enjoy it.

And pat yourself on the back as you eat it for sticking to the rules when it wasn't easy to do so. You've just increased your habit muscle. :)

(S-days do work better when you plan for them, and make room for what you really want by giving up stuff you don't care about, like that ice cream sandwich. As the amount that you want to eat drops, you'll find that you become more selective!)