Introduction - Cricket

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

cricketbird

Introduction - Cricket

Post by cricketbird » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi folks,

I stumbled onto this site looking for a habit calendar for meditation (ala Seinfeld) and then started reading the No-S stuff and it makes so much sense! I've been browsing the forums and this seems like the plan and the group for me :) What a logical, common-sense plan and what a supportive group!

My history of food is as a ravenous enjoyer of food. I didn't know it, but for over a decade, I was severely hyperthyroid, meaning I was always hungry, and would feel faint (or, on a few occasions, actually faint) if I didn't eat. I had to keep a food diary for a class once during that time and my instructor gave me a low grade for claiming to eat 4,000 calories per day, but I did!
But before you get excited about becoming hyperthyroid yourself, I had a resting pulse of 150, shook like I had Parkinson's, couldn't sleep more than 3 hours a night, was in a complete mental fog, and have likely caused myself permanent heart damage. Not a recommended diet plan.

Fast forward - thyroid is now under control for two years (and I feel human again), but I still get panicky at the idea of not eating enough to "last through" to the next meal. Empirically, I know that I can, but emotionally, I know that that's not possible - I "know" that I will feel sick or faint (even though I don't anymore!). The downside to that is I've been steadily gaining weight since my thyroid normalized. Nothing terrible, but a steady creep that has now got me about 30 lbs over where a good BMI for me would be.

I like this diet for saying it's okay to eat as much as seems reasonable at mealtimes. This way I don't feel like I'm depriving myself, but am still reigning in the constant snacking and "worry-eating" (worried that I won't "make it" to the next meal).

I've been "test driving" the No-S diet for about two weeks and I like it. I now know for sure that I truly can survive between meals and now I just need to make this a habit.

I was going to start today, but I failed to take into account that today is international Pi day (3/14), and I work in a nerdy research lab where EVERYONE brought in their favorite pi(e) to eat today. I'll work on changing my reputation, but for today, being known as the departmental food-hound and then turning down people's pies without any warning I'm on a diet seemed rude and likely cause offense. Lame excuse, but TOMORROW I will begin. I even started by telling people that this was my last treat as I was starting this diet tomorrow. So now folks here will hold me to it too, I hope!

-Cricket

greatpumpkin

Post by greatpumpkin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Welcome aboard! Actually, pi day sounds like a great way to remember your last day of pre-NoS life!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Hello Cricket, at first I thought this thread was relating to that English sport that I like to watch, but don't understand. :lol:

Glad you found us.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

BrightAngel

Re: Introduction - Cricket

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:43 pm

cricketbird wrote:I've been "test driving" the No-S diet for about two weeks and I like it.
Image Way to Go, Cricket.
Wishing you the best here at No S.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com