Back from the land of Low Carb Diets

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

used2bskinny

Back from the land of Low Carb Diets

Post by used2bskinny » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:04 am

Hi Everyone!

You probably don't remember me but I'm back after a visit to the Land of low carb dieting! At first I was very successful in this strange land where all the so called bad foods were suddenly good and all the so called good foods were suddenly bad! I actually lost 20 lbs living mostly on bacon, cheese, protein bars and low carb wraps! Don't be tempted however. I couldn't do it forever and after a year the weight has started to creep back on. (They call it "carb creep" in the land of low carb diets).
Then a little voice in my head said "moderation" and I remembered the No S Diet. So here I am! I want to get started before I have to buy larger clothes again.!! Wish me luck![/b]

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Well Welcome Back!

I find that low carb dieting works very well for me on a weight loss level. However I struggle in other areas with them: intestinal issues mainly, and I notice I get pain in my sternum area, possibly gall bladder?

If a person can swing low carb I am happy for them. Because I know it works.

I like the No S "Lifestyle" better because, although the weight loss may not be as rapid, I feel better, can eat a significantly wider variety of foods, and don't get anxiety over "forbidden" macronutrients. (The same could be said for low fat as well...)

Good luck to you.

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

used2bskinny

Post by used2bskinny » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Over43 wrote:Well Welcome Back!

I find that low carb dieting works very well for me on a weight loss level. However I struggle in other areas with them: intestinal issues mainly, and I notice I get pain in my sternum area, possibly gall bladder?

If a person can swing low carb I am happy for them. Because I know it works.

I like the No S "Lifestyle" better because, although the weight loss may not be as rapid, I feel better, can eat a significantly wider variety of foods, and don't get anxiety over "forbidden" macronutrients. (The same could be said for low fat as well...)

Good luck to you.

O43
Thanks. I agree!
When the music changes, so does the dance!

BrightAngel

Re: Back from the land of Low Carb Diets

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:47 pm

used2bskinny wrote:I'm back after a visit to the Land of low carb dieting!
At first I was very successful in this strange land
however. I couldn't do it forever
and after a year the weight has started to creep back on.
(They call it "carb creep" in the land of low carb diets).

Then a little voice in my head said "moderation"
and I remembered the No S Diet.

Wish me luck![/b]
Imageused2bskinny, I wish you the best of luck.
Remember, the moderation principles of No S can be combined
with almost every type of diet...no matter what it is.
Even when you choose to follow low-carb...or any other special plan...
you can STILL follow No S.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

montanajack

Re: Back from the land of Low Carb Diets

Post by montanajack » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:28 pm

used2bskinny wrote:Hi Everyone!

You probably don't remember me but I'm back after a visit to the Land of low carb dieting! At first I was very successful in this strange land where all the so called bad foods were suddenly good and all the so called good foods were suddenly bad! I actually lost 20 lbs living mostly on bacon, cheese, protein bars and low carb wraps! Don't be tempted however. I couldn't do it forever and after a year the weight has started to creep back on. (They call it "carb creep" in the land of low carb diets).
Then a little voice in my head said "moderation" and I remembered the No S Diet. So here I am! I want to get started before I have to buy larger clothes again.!! Wish me luck![/b]
Good luck and sorry you had so many problems with low carb.

Unfortunately, many commercial "low carb" programs are the creation of folks who don't know what a real Paleo diet really is--Dr. Atkins, Mr. Taubes, etc. Protein powders and bars, cheese, wraps, etc., are non-existent in the real "Paleo" diet and if a person has ever hunted or better, gone through a survival school, there would be a much better understanding.

For example, there are studies of Aborigines in Australia who were sick and dying of Western diseases. Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, etc. They took them off their western diet of fast and processed food and put them in their natural settings...in weeks, all of their diseases had either halted or showed all signs of major regression.

The diet was Paleo...fish, kangaroo, rodents, bugs, lots of edible foliage, fruits, roots and nuts. In another words, lean animal proteins combined with plant foods.

There are similar studies that have been published with nearly the same results.

Paleo can be an incredibly healthy way to eat if you ignore some of the advice from people who haven't really done their homework. Art Devany's dietary advice, IMHO, is much closer to a good Paleo approach...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Welcome back and see how it goes. The research shows that most who lose on low-carb end up living a moderate carb life in the long run. Most maintainers gain a few pounds and then stay there.

You may find that your meals are more low-carb than they were before low-carbing. I know Volumetrics, the Zone, 40-30-30, and WW permanently changed what I prefer for my meals forever and for the good. (Bingeing is my issue and I had it long before those programs.)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Welcome back! Sounds terrifying!

Reinhard

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:58 pm

I go psycho if I try going on a low-carb diet. I eat lower-carb every year at Passover for eight days. By the end, I usually describe myself as "mean as a snake" and "a bitch from hell". I get really irritable.

The brain makes serotonin out of carbohydrates, and I've got depression that is treated with a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. I suspect there may be a connection here. Anyway, I know from what they do to my moods that low-carb diets are definitely not for me.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Depending on your definition of low carb, I actually eat kinda low carb.

At least, I tend to eat fewer than 100 carbs a day, according to periodic reality checks. No, I don't TRY to do this. It's just how it pans out. But I eat a LOT of fresh veggies, stir frys and the like. Apparently even the white rice doesn't bump it up as much as you'd think.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:08 am

I happened to check in with this just before I'm getting ready to go home for dinner and a lot of bacon, cheese, and a low-carb wrap sounds pretty good right now!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:28 pm

oolala53 wrote:a lot of bacon, cheese, and a low-carb wrap sounds pretty good right now!
Image You might want to check out the recipe video I just posted.
http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v& ... Categories
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com