Lunch in Paris

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MysteryLover

Lunch in Paris

Post by MysteryLover » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:59 am

I'm reading a book right now titled Lunch in Paris: A Love Story with Recipes, by Elizabeth Bard. I thought I'd share a few sentences from Chapter 12 regarding the French 'secret' to staying slim.

Speaking of her French mother-in-law: "As Nicole changed back into her skirt and braided her hair, I noted the contents of her bag: book, scarf, tube of sunscreen, bottle of water. I made another mental note. French women drink an extraordinary amount of H2O." And: "Even when she's not drinking water, she's drinking water: she drinks a big pot of tea in the morning, and infusions - herbal teas- in the afternoon and evening." And: "What was conspicuously absent from her bag were snacks. If an American family goes to the beach for the afternoon, chances are there's going to be a box of Fig Newtons in mom's tote, or at least money for a drippy ice cream cone. Nicole NEVER eats between meals."

Talking about the main course at a dinner: "She deboned the fish at the table, and if I had to guess I would say that there was no more than two to three ounces per person. There were no leftovers, no seconds, just the memory of the apertif and olives before hand and the anticipation of the cheese, salad, and dessert to follow." / "I thought of my mother's table, laden with seconds and thirds for everyone, all dishes brought to the table at the same time. In the States, I could easily eat triple the amount that was now on my plate without considering whether I was actually hungry."

And her conclusion: "That's the real reason why French women don't get fat: every day they make petites (small) decisions that keep the larger weight loss struggle from ever having to begin."
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0

chickadee11

Post by chickadee11 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:54 pm

With beach weather right around the corner it is good to remember that every snack from cheez-its to teddy grahams for those tots in tow is NOT mandatory. Some of my memories from childhood were coming home from a long day at the beach and wonderful sweet corn and being hungry for it!
A full day field trip may be different,but going a couple hours really can be done.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:33 am

Anne Barone has written extensively about how she learned to eat in France and lost 55 lbs. about 35 years ago. I remember especially her saying that no self-respecting French woman has a stash of candy bars in her desk! It's just not done.

However, some American habits are spreading to France. There is more food available at more hours of the day now- and the French are starting to show it. Quel dommage.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Anne Barone has always struck me as kind of a nut, and as not having a particularly realistic image of France. However, everyone seems to agree that people just don't eat all the time in France (or most places). They don't snack outside of formal meals.