Help with Cravings

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

clio

Help with Cravings

Post by clio » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:35 pm

I started taking 1 T of ground flax seed every morning (& sometimes 1T at night too) and, after a few days, I noticed that I have had much less trouble with cravings for sweets (and craving for unhealthy food in general). My blood sugar seems a lot more stable and it seems like it's been because of the flax. So if you're having trouble with food cravings, you might want to give this a try...
SW: 154

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:47 pm

maybe there wasn't enough fat in your diet--eating lower fat can be a good thing if you're over indulging, but fat is an essential nutrient, so going no-fat or low-fat all the time can cause cravings. flax seed, as far as nutrients go, is a fat, as I understand it.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Hey guys! Many thanks for the information. I have been struggling this weeks with extra strong cravings. I had planned on eating lower fat foods for a bit to see if it would help get my weight down a bit before my forthcoming vacation. However... since I started, I've been experiencing strong cravings in particular for sweet, starchy foods and carbs to the point I've been overindulging in these and going off the rails quite a bit. I wasn't sure if it were psychological or not, but reading these posts made me realize that it could indeed be the lack of fat. I have some flaxseeds in my pantry which I used to sprinkle on top of yogurt in the mornings. I stopped doing so for a while. This article makes me want to try it out again asap. So many thanks and fingers crossed!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs