What my Granny ate

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sydneycat

What my Granny ate

Post by Sydneycat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:37 pm

Granny was tiny, 5 foot 2 inches and seven stones - never went up and never went down.

She ate:

2 slices of toast spread with clover and Oxford Marmalade with a tiny bowl of All Bran.

11 am a cup of coffee with one sugar

Main meal of anything with veg at lunchtime followed by an apple.

2 slices of bread made into a ham and mustard sandwich, with a bag of crisps.

bedtime - cup of tea with a rich tea biscuit.

Was wondering, if I ate what she ate (I know because I did all her shopping) I would be bound to lose weight - any thoughts?

Thanks for thinking about it

Anne x
Anne ---x---

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:55 pm

Worth a try :wink:
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:50 pm

My first thought was that it's a pretty sparse way of eating. Then I remembered how I eat: one or two small meals daily and one larger meal.

I think you could lose weight eating like this. However, if you're using it only to lose weight and not as a way to eat for a lifetime, you'll probably regain the lost weight once you go back to your normal way of eating. It sounds like a great way to eat for a lifetime.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:20 pm

As long as you like what she ate, give it a try! Let us know how it works out.

(My mom was 5'6" and 125 lbs her whole adult life. While she ate different foods than you're grandma did, the amounts were pretty similar. For my mom it was no snacks, no junk and portion control.)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:17 am

The point is not what she ate, but how.

Three meals a day. Two of them were big enough to carry her through to the next meal. The larger meal had lots of veg. Apparently, eating a rich tea biscuit didn't evolve into two biscuits, then two biscuits at night and one in the late afternoon, and then scones and cream...

You should try it and see.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:59 am

Your grandmother ate a ham sandwich every day for dinner?

It does sound like many people could lose weight because of the small portions and lack of variety. But people can lose weight on many versions of this.

As someone else said or implied, would you be happy eating this way? Bottom line is you've got to find the balance of pleasure and health that will satisfy you in the long run.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)