Total newbie needing reassurance!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bobcat

Total newbie needing reassurance!

Post by Bobcat » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:44 am

Firstly, I'm introducing myself! This is the first time I've ever joined an online forum/bulletin board! But I feel it may help me with my No S journey!

So... After spending a few weeks reading 1000's of posts I finally started No S last Monday. I'm a week in and so far doing well, especially enjoying my S day today :-)

BUT, before No S I didn't really snack, I have never been a massive snacker, and generally have stuck to 3 meals my whole life! Since consciously starting No S I find myself craving snacks! I'm hungry between meals (about 2/3 hours after eating!) which is something I have never had before!

I am thinking it is maybe because I am constantly telling myself no snacking, or taking out seconds and desserts (big pudding (as we call them over here) eater!) has reduced my food intake enough to make me feel the hunger?

If anyone else has had this or has an explanation I would be grateful! :D

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi bobcat and welcome to NoS! The community here is really supportive :)

It could be that whole thing of once you tell yourself you can't have something you really want it haha! However it might be that you aren't eating enough at your meals? What has changed in your eating habits since you started NoS? Did you used to have 2nd portions a lot or huge platefuls? Did you often have dessert or fruit after a meal? Have you been trying to make each plate 'healthy'? Any of these things could be resulting in you taking in less food now and you'll naturally feel more hungry because of it!

Okaybear

Post by Okaybear » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi! I'm also a super noobie, so I don't know how much reassurance I can give quite yet, but I wanted to pop in and say hello anyway. Good to know that there are others around just starting out.

I think one of this things about this (non)diet that appeals to me is the acknowledgment that it's OKAY to be hungry, at least for awhile. The thought comes into your head - "hmm, I'm hungry" - and you can acknowledge it and move on, knowing that you can address that hunger at your next meal. Hunger is nothing to panic over. Have a glass of water, gird your loins, grit your teeth, and follow the rules. You'll be fine.

I'm enjoying my S day today, too. :)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:37 pm

Okaybear wrote:I think one of this things about this (non)diet that appeals to me is the acknowledgment that it's OKAY to be hungry, at least for awhile. The thought comes into your head - "hmm, I'm hungry" - and you can acknowledge it and move on, knowing that you can address that hunger at your next meal. Hunger is nothing to panic over. Have a glass of water, gird your loins, grit your teeth, and follow the rules. You'll be fine.
Yes. Hunger is not a red emergency alert. Companies that make food, especially snack foods, would like you to think it is, but really, it isn't.

If you live in the developed world, don't have anorexia, and don't have a metabolic disorder, it's extremely unlikely that being hungry for a few hours is going to hurt you. Seriously, an asteroid the size of the one that killed the dinosaurs hitting the Earth in the next year is more likely.

You're probably thinking about food and hunger more than you were before you started No S. Hunger is one of those things, like itching, that thinking about it can make you feel it. Find some way to distract yourself. This would also help if the problem is actually boredom masquerading as hunger, which is common.

Bobcat

Post by Bobcat » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks for the responses! I have come to the conclusion today that it must all be in my head because I'm now thinking about "not snacking" when there is a slight hunger pang. Also I've recently given up smoking, and I think i used to smoke when I felt hunger, so now I don't have that vice to fall back on it feels strange!

Today (S day) I didn't once feel hungry and think about snacking even thought I could have! I had 3 one plate meals and he only difference was a dessert at lunch! As milliem put it "once you tell yourself you can't have something you really want it"

Also, I like the fact that I am allowed to be hungry! A long time ago when I was "establishing my independence" and earning a pittance, I often only ate once a day due to lack of funds. And I survived that for over a year, so three times a day should be luxury. I think it's since I've been living well (too well obviously by the size of my waist!) I have forgotten about those times!

P.S. Nice to know you're new too Okaybear!