Lattes..

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Pinkcupcakes

Lattes..

Post by Pinkcupcakes » Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 am

Pls can anyone know if this would count as a snack...

I know its a drink, but its quite calorie dense and I tend to drink them when im a bit hungry/fancy something sweet. So I feel that I may be using them in place of a snack - is this a fail - or am I overthinking it?!

Thanks
If you dont want to be where you've always been, change what you've always done!

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:20 pm

I think if it was a plain latte--meaning no flavored syrup--it would be fine as a snack. Make it a smaller size than you normally get, too, and get used to drinking that size. But flavored lattes are nothing but sugar, really, and the sugar-free kind--well, that's ultimately up to you whether or not you want to eat chemical sweetner. Some people don't care, others do. Me, I feel like the sugar-free syrups at places like Starbucks taste bad; I use NuNaturals vanilla stevia extract in my coffee/lattes because it doesn't have an aftertaste (you just have to get used to how many drops you need to make it taste good to you).

I know a lot of people who got stuck in a Starbucks habit and ended up gaining a ton of weight (I managed to avoid it mostly because when I was addicted, I had a super-physical job as a shelf-stocker at Costco and I worked as a server and a bartender in a restaurant, and I never sat down). A latte a day is probably a bad idea, but one every now and then is no problem. I used to drink giant ones, but after switching to smaller sizes, I couldn't even imagine trying to down a large latte from Starbucks or any other coffee place! Sometimes it's hard to finish a small one!

I guess that's a good thing about smaller coffee shops, too...usually they serve you an 8oz latte--nothing more, nothing less--instead of the monsters that Starbucks offers. That, to me, is perfect! Starbucks doesn't even have their 8oz "short" cup listed on the menu; you just have to know to ask for it!

Sorry for the long answer, but as a former latte junkie, I figured this might help a little!
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145

Pinkcupcakes

Post by Pinkcupcakes » Thu May 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Hiya

Thanks for your response.

My lattes/capucinnos are 'normal' sized. I have a nespresso machine so either make it with that or just heat some milk and add instant coffee. I dont add syrup ( only at Christmas and then I treat myself to a few gingerbread or cinammon lattes!)

My problem is I get home at 5 but husband doesnt get home till 7 - so those 2 hours I need something to stop me raiding the fridge!

If i do fancy a sweet coffe I add xylitol - which is natural and doesnt spike blood sugar levels.

Im not a massive fan of Starbucks - nit sure if its the same in UK as US but over here the coffee is weak and like you say totally overpowered by sweet syrup if you have a flavoured one.
If you dont want to be where you've always been, change what you've always done!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 03, 2012 1:18 pm

Given the way you make your lattes, you're overthinking it. You can have coffee and/or milk between meals, so go ahead and enjoy the latte.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:18 pm

I have a mocha once in awhile, usually I make them at home.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Andie

Post by Andie » Sat May 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Now that you've described how you make them, I really don't think that they should be a problem at all. Milk is allowed on the diet between meals anyway (especially if you're hungry and need to postpone a meal!) and that's basically the only caloric thing in your latte.
Back after a long hiatus.