In times of stress and upheaval...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruamgirl

In times of stress and upheaval...

Post by Ruamgirl » Mon May 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi, everyone!

I really want to commit to this lifestyle, but I'm wondering if maybe there are times when starting something new and (arguably) challenging is just too much to take on. My mother is dying of cancer, and I'm helping my dad take care of her. Obviously, this is a very emotional time, and I'm kind of afraid that maybe I'm taking on too much by trying to start No S now. That sounds like a silly excuse doesn't it? I could be wrong. Maybe I should commit to this now instead of waiting for the "perfect" time.

I'd love to hear what others think.

Irisha
So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. -- Christopher Reeve

bkim

Re: In times of stress and upheaval...

Post by bkim » Mon May 21, 2012 5:55 pm

ruamgirl wrote:Hi, everyone!

I really want to commit to this lifestyle, but I'm wondering if maybe there are times when starting something new and (arguably) challenging is just too much to take on. My mother is dying of cancer, and I'm helping my dad take care of her. Obviously, this is a very emotional time, and I'm kind of afraid that maybe I'm taking on too much by trying to start No S now. That sounds like a silly excuse doesn't it? I could be wrong. Maybe I should commit to this now instead of waiting for the "perfect" time.

I'd love to hear what others think.

Irisha
So sorry to hear about your mom. I'd say that it's about priorities. Whatever it takes to give you optimum energy both physically and mentally to deal with this time I would do. Just FYI though, a strong body usually produces a strong mind. Don't let the emotion and stress get you down to a point where it is a detriment to your own health. Don't forsake that. Hope I wasn't too forward. Best of luck

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon May 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi Irisha, so sorry to hear you are going through a rough time right now!

I guess there's no 'perfect' time to start a diet. One of the good things about NoS is that it provides an easy structure, so there are less annoying choices to make on a daily basis about when and what to eat - that could be good at a time of stress? Plus I doubt you'll feel much better in the long run if you stuff your face at every opportunity! :)

One thing I'd say is go easy on yourself though. If taking on the whole of NoS sounds a bit daunting right now, maybe work up to it in steps and see how it goes. You could add one new 'S' each week or every few weeks until you are ready to tackle all three 'S's'. Maybe start with the one you really want to work on first, so for example you could cut out sweets during the week but still allow snacks and seconds until you become comfortable with that.

You'll also find plenty of support on these boards, I wish you luck whatever you decide :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon May 21, 2012 8:45 pm

When I got pregnant with my first child, it was about a year earlier than we had planned to start a family. My obstetrician told me that if we all waited for the "perfect" time to start a family, no children would be conceived.

It's the same with most everything. If you wait for the perfect time, nothing happens because there is no perfect time.

While I understand that this is a stressful time for you, there's no time like the present to get started. Of all the "diets" out there, this one is a great one to start now, because there's no special food to buy or meals to make. It's about "when" and not "what."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:22 pm

I don't know what the details are of your helping your dad, but to tell the truth, it's hard to imagine that a 3 meal structure would get in the way of what you're trying to do. You're going to have to have food, right? Whether you buy groceries and cook, or just get fast food, you can do this. The meals don't have to be eaten at exactly the same time, so you should be able to fit them in.

Even if you're in a hospital, there's a cafeteria open at the meal times. You can have beverages in between.

In fact, it may simplify things. You don't have to have food for yourself available all day long. Just put food on a plate at meal times and eat. It will probably make dealing with stress easier. It usually has for me, once I developed the habit.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon May 21, 2012 9:29 pm

That's really hard! So sorry. :(

If you can see No S as a form of self care, go for it. But no beating yourself up if you can't comply perfectly.

Without knowing your current eating habits, I would suggest you start with No Snacking. For many people that will take care of a large percentage of excess calories right there.

carpediem

Post by carpediem » Tue May 22, 2012 1:06 am

Nice meeting you, ruamgirl~
I am about 2 weeks away from the anniversary of my mother's death. She was in the hospital for 3 1/2 months. She lived over 2 hours away and I was driving back and forth several times a week, daily toward the end. In the midst of all that I ended up having to have a thyroidectomy. Crazy time and an extremely difficult time. Point is...there were alot of days I didn't eat right or simply forgot to eat at all. As you know, it's easy to lose track of time under those kind of situations. Everyone needs you and your own needs are often at the bottom of your list of priorities.
NoS might actually be good for you right now. At least it would make you more conscious of what you're eating and when you're eating it. Like everyone else has said, don't be too hard on yourself about the rules. But eating three meals a day will help you be good to yourself.
Don't know if I helped address your concerns, rumagirl, but I just want you to know I can identify at least in part with what you're going through. All I know for sure is you are stronger than you think you are. Just don't forget to take care of yourself!
I CAN IF I THINK I CAN!!

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Tue May 22, 2012 1:25 am

Thank you, everyone, so much for your advice. I've decided that there will never be a perfect time to try to better my eating habits, so why not start now? I will do my best, but I will remember to be gentle with myself. Progress not perfection. And it is a good way to practice self-care, which is important in any situation.

This is somewhat OT, but I used to be on Sparkpeople until I realized that every time I logged on, I would start obsessing about dieting and losing weight. Too much diet-head. It also didn't help that I couldn't decide which eating program to stick with. I'm debating about maybe creating a profile and starting anew there, now that I've finally made up my mind.

I'm so grateful for the kind words and encouragement I've received. Thank you again!

Irisha
So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. -- Christopher Reeve

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:39 am

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I agree with a lot of the other posters that No-S is actually helpful in times of great stress... Hang in there and I wish you and your parents strength to get through the times to come.

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue May 22, 2012 8:29 am

I'm sorry about your mother. It must be a very difficult to time for you all. I would say that there's no harm in trying No S, but don't make it an additional stress. If it's causing you stress then you can stop and go back to it at a better time. It might be that it's actually helpful. I'm finding life a little easier now that I know I can go for hours without eating! Maybe it will work out that way for you. You could start off with just one of the "S"s and see how it goes. Your mental health is as important as your physical health, so do what feels right. No bridges are being burned, whichever direction you go in :).

I know what you mean about too much diet-head. I have that problem too. I'm hoping that No S sorts it out for me, although I'm not doing brilliantly on that front (I'm tending to watch my calories which is the antithesis of No S).