What motivates you when you've fallen off the wagon?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sarahkay

What motivates you when you've fallen off the wagon?

Post by sarahkay » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:59 am

I'm trying to get some ideas or quotes or something to think about when I fall off the wagon for a while and need some help climbing back on. What do you do when you really want a snack/sweet/second and you feel yourself giving in, or when you get a case of "whatever" and can't seem to remember how much it really means to you to follow No S?

One of my favorites is "6 months from now". I just think, if I give up, what will I feel like 6 months from now? Will I be happy with that decision? What about a year from now?

What do you all do? Thanks! :)

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:45 am

Well, The NoS Catch Phrase Glossary (3 pages worth of great inspirational quotes and maxims!) is right here and I highly recommend you read through it:

http://www.everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3883

Some of my favorite pithy statements include:

Mark it and Move On (my very own contribution)
One=done
More=sore

Some of my "pep talks" include:

1. Remembering that a single plate of good food is a HUGE blessing and to be grateful for it (rather than feeling "deprived" by moderation).

2. Reminding myself that mistakes/slipups/oops moments are to be expected but they don't define me, ie., eating two cookies on a Nday doesn't make me a NoS failure, just like bumping the car into the curb while parking doesn't make me a driving failure. It just means I need to be more careful.

3. When sweets/seconds are calling my name, I sometimes have to tell myself that I really am above a Pavlovian response--I'm much more than some rat trained to salivate at the ring of the bell (or in this case, the sight/sound/thought of a treat). I want to maintain my human dignity MORE than I want the goodie.

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Anger. I get mad and determined. :roll: Also, I start with a short strict goal with a reward.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:16 pm

I like that... its short term so there is instant success/gratification. What would be a good idea for a goal/reward? I'm having trouble sticking to No S for even a day and last month I was green at least half the month! I'm rebelling against myself it seems like!

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:13 pm

I used to plan weekly rewards too, after a week of vanilla NoS - non food, of course! Some of the things I would work for were: flowers for outdoors (I love them!), a special piece of jewelry, a new pair of shoes, a new book, etc. It worked for me!
Having used The Beck Diet Solution, something that keeps my motivation up is constantly reviewing a list of reasons for why I want to lose weight. I also have an index card that says, "NO CHOICE!" I refer to that one when I get an urge to eat something I shouldn't - or I'll say it to myself if I can't get the card. Those are just a few things that have been helpful for me...like all of us, you have to keep at it and keep looking for and trying new tactics. You'll find what works for you!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!