serving sizes

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bigshoe

serving sizes

Post by bigshoe » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:53 am

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:29 am

Thank you! I was already aware of how much US sizes have grown, but found it extremely interesting to see the averages differences in size between the same items in modern-day Paris and Philadelphia.
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

eschano

Post by eschano » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Great graphic. Thanks a lot
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Awsome!
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Getting more food for your money, if you're talking about food that is to be consumed at one sitting, really isn't a good way to go. Some restaurants have used this as an inexpensive way to differentiate themselves from their competition, and have managed to convince a lot of us that this is a desirable thing. But when you think about it, it really isn't. The restaurants that do this are acting in their best interests, which are not necessarily the same as your best interests.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Nicest of the Damned wrote:Getting more food for your money, if you're talking about food that is to be consumed at one sitting, really isn't a good way to go. Some restaurants have used this as an inexpensive way to differentiate themselves from their competition, and have managed to convince a lot of us that this is a desirable thing. But when you think about it, it really isn't. The restaurants that do this are acting in their best interests, which are not necessarily the same as your best interests.
I always eat enough to be full, not stuffed.

I use Reinhard's virtual plate technique to determine how much I'll eat.

For the remainder, I ask for a doggy bag. I always carry a cooler in my car.

But let's face it. if you leave food at the plate in the restaurant, you are not losing money. You are paying to not overeat. What a bargain!
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Jethro wrote:But let's face it. if you leave food at the plate in the restaurant, you are not losing money. You are paying to not overeat. What a bargain!
If you gave half (or whatever fraction) of your portion back to the waitress when she brings it to the table, do you really think the restaurant would refund part of the price of that food? Do you think you could wrap half of your food up in a doggie bag and sell it to someone else for half of what you paid? Of course not. Since there's no realistic way to get that money back, you're not wasting money if you don't eat all your food.

Overeating isn't free. It looks like it is, because the costs come later, kind of like they do with pollution. But that doesn't mean those costs aren't there. You will pay for your overeating in medical costs later, possibly also in other costs like having to buy bigger clothes. An economist would call this a negative externality:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externality