Back again, saying hello again

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruff

Back again, saying hello again

Post by Ruff » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:42 pm

hello, I joined, briefly last October (2011), just before my birthday. I understood and liked the whole S thing, as it was important to get off the diet merry-go-round.

Then stuff happened. Shortly after my birthday my Dad was taken ill. In January I flew to the UK (from NZ) and managed to spend some time with him before he died. Whilst I was there my sister was diagnosed with her 2nd Cancer. When I came back i took up running (Feb 2012) and have run a 5K and 3 10K's and am training for a half marathon.

The earthquakes finally seem to be settling down (almost 12,000 in less than 2 years) and so the stress from that is diminishing, but next Wednesday is a big day as the Earthquake commission are coming (18 months after the big quake!) to inspect my house, and as it is rather wobbly we think we will have to move out whilst they rebuild...and of course everyone is in the same boat so there is nowhere to rent.

Anyway, I have lost 3 and a half stone since last October, mostly, but not completely, no s-ing. I think the running helps and I have been trying so hard not to snack. I have given up sugar except my weekly after-long- run Saturday pancakes! I also don't eat gluten as I have a coeliac son, who finds it hard when everyone else is eating yummy bread and stuff.

I am flying back to the UK in October for my sister and my birthdays and to see how she and my mother both are. No s-ing is great when traveling.

So hello again. I enjoy forums and hope to be around a little more this time.

PS Ruff is the name of my dog!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:48 pm

Welcome back. You may not have been posting but it sounds like you have been No S-ing. It really does support most situations, at least in our culture, meaning we have access to food when we need it. Good luck with the inspection and follow up.
Last edited by oolala53 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:51 am

Hi Ruff,
Nice to see a NZ'er here (I'm in Western Australia). Sorry to hear of your rough year, especially with the added stress of the Christchurch / Canterbury earthquakes.

Also nice to see a fellow runner here. I'm on pause at the moment after having a child, but have run a couple of half marathons on the past three years. I'd be interested in how you find No-Sing fits in with training. Do you time your runs so there is a meal afterwards anyway?

Best of luck with your goals!

Ruff

Post by Ruff » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:35 am

Hi Ironchef (waving at you over the Tasman!)

I normally run in the morning and have breakfast afterwards. This seems to work well for me. I just have a cuppa before I go. If i cannot run in the morning I run before whatever meal, so I always get a meal when I get back.

I don't do gels and things as they make me nauseous. I love coconut water and have that as an electorate replacement if I run more than 2 hours, otherwise I don't worry about it.

Ruff

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:39 am

Hi Ruff,

It's really inspiring that you managed to mostly stay on No-S in the midst of this storm of things happening.

Very sorry to hear about your dad. Starting to run is one of the healthiest responses I've ever heard of. Most people just go back to their old ways when faced with such exceptional circumstances. You should be really proud of yourself.

I hope your sister is getting better and that everything works out with your house!

Welcome back!

Tess
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Ruff! Welcome back :) I echo what the others' have written !

Best wishes, Roxy
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Ruff. :D
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com