CAN I HAVE A SMALL DESSERT AFTER EVENING MEAL

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

L A

CAN I HAVE A SMALL DESSERT AFTER EVENING MEAL

Post by L A » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:46 am

I'D PREFER TO HAVE A SMALL DESSERT DAILY THAN CHANGE MY EATING PLAN AT WEEKENDS. IS THAT OK?
Linda A

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:00 pm

You know it's not the basic plan, but you can make mods. I say, whatever works for you, but only after accomplishing the straight up plan successfully for a while. I recommend reading the post written by KCCC (I think) about the phases of NoS. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

leafy_greens

Re: CAN I HAVE A SMALL DESSERT AFTER EVENING MEAL

Post by leafy_greens » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:22 pm

L A wrote:I'D PREFER TO HAVE A SMALL DESSERT DAILY THAN CHANGE MY EATING PLAN AT WEEKENDS. IS THAT OK?
No.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:05 pm

I've read Reinhard say you can do whatever you want, but it won't really be No S. Limiting sweets to weekends was carefully determined, as were the other S's.

From my experience here and on other sites (one thread devoted to ending bingeing), clinging to a daily sweet is the source of more downfalls than just about anything else I've seen. Not to say there aren't exceptions. But for those who have made a habit of overeating, successfully limiting themselves to a small daily sweet is the exception.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 pm

L A,
That's what I do. It works for me. It took a bit of practice for me to get to stop after one small serving. But it's not an issue anymore. Sometimes I have a cookie, other times a scoop of ice cream, or a piece of chocolate.

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:34 pm

If you would have asked me a couple years back I would have told you yes, without any hesitation...but now...I say it's a slippery slope. I've restarted NoS numerous times and the only reason it's sticking now is because I've kept it simple (with the exception of starting my S days on Fri @ 5pm & ending Sun @ 5pm).

The reasons I failed miserably the other times was I was either too strict, doing another diet with NoS, or just making it more complicated. The small dessert isn't really an issue but it's what it can become. I remember allowing myself a fruit in between lunch and dinner, that fruit became a 100 calorie pack snack, which became a couple cookies or a slice of cake. Not to mention chaotic S days couldn't occur because I was only afforded one dessert. This may seem ok for some but this restriction led to me bingeing, it started to feel too much like a diet.

I say if you eat your dessert at the same time everyday and make it a habit it could work. If all else fails take a step back to vanilla NoS.
Last edited by Eeyore on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:57 am

I'd say try it, and set yourself an exact time limit, say one month, and if it is working at that point, good for you keep it up. If you find that just really doesn't work for you in real life, then give vanilla NoS a try, and then you can compare.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Lady Crimson

Post by Lady Crimson » Sun May 19, 2013 1:54 pm

L A wrote:I'D PREFER TO HAVE A SMALL DESSERT DAILY THAN CHANGE MY EATING PLAN AT WEEKENDS. IS THAT OK?
If your dessert is a piece of fruit and it fits on your dinner plate then yes, you can. According to Vanilla No S you can't eat after the meal but you can have fruit with your meal and eat it last.

You didn't specify what "desert" is but everyone seemed to assume that it was a sweet. You cannot have a sweet but in many other countries, fruit is a dessert--fruit used to be a dessert in this country as well. Of course you can't sweeten the fruit but if the fruit is ripe and in season, it should be naturally sweet. Why not try ending your meal with orange slices or a clemantine?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun May 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Lady Crimson wrote:
If your dessert is a piece of fruit and it fits on your dinner plate then yes, you can. According to Vanilla No S you can't eat after the meal but you can have fruit with your meal and eat it last.

You didn't specify what "desert" is but everyone seemed to assume that it was a sweet. You cannot have a sweet but in many other countries, fruit is a dessert--fruit used to be a dessert in this country as well. Of course you can't sweeten the fruit but if the fruit is ripe and in season, it should be naturally sweet. Why not try ending your meal with orange slices or a clemantine?
I think fruit can be sweetened if you like or if it needs it. You're unlikely to use as much sugar to sweeten some fruit as you would in a pie or cake or other dessert. It really depends on how much sugar you're using and whether or not you consider it a "sweet."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."