Find yourself becoming a foodie?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

SuperMysteryCat

Find yourself becoming a foodie?

Post by SuperMysteryCat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:11 am

I have noticed that since I started No S-ing that I care so much more about tasty food. I'm perusing cookbooks, watching the food channel and taking a lot more care deciding what to eat and preparing meals. At this point I can't even stand to eat store-bought salad dressing. I am in danger of becoming a food snob. Yesterday I made red curry tofu. This is getting serious.

Anyone else notice this change? Food is exciting again!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:14 am

It happened to me, too, though I think it started about a year before I found No-S. I don't consider myself a foodie, though. To me, a foodie is someone who is interested in all the new trends in food and a pretty adventurous eater. I don't care much about the trends and while I'll usually try things if they're offered, I don't go looking for them. I'm also not interested in visiting all the new and exciting upscale restaurants.

I do care about good food. I haven't bought salad dressing in about 8 years, I make my own bread (most of it, anyway), no more jarred pasta sauces, no canned soups, no cake or other mixes. The list goes on. I've tried making mayonnaise and so far haven't been successful with that, but maybe I'll get it soon.

Try PBS for really good cooking shows. I like most of them and always learn something. Right now I'm enjoying Martha Stewart's Cooking Class.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:12 pm

wosnes, where do you get your salad dressing recipes? I have to say I've never made one myself that I liked as much as Trader Joe's Goddess or Bernstein's Italian. But I'd like to learn to make some.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 pm

oolala53 wrote:wosnes, where do you get your salad dressing recipes? I have to say I've never made one myself that I liked as much as Trader Joe's Goddess or Bernstein's Italian. But I'd like to learn to make some.
I started with vinaigrettes. The first one I made was probably supposed to be low fat with more vinegar than oil and it was awful. I just kept trying things (in smallish amounts) until I found something I liked.

The first one I really liked was a honey-balsamic vinaigrette using 3 parts olive oil, 2 parts balsamic vinegar and 1 part honey. I add some salt and pepper to this, too. It doesn't matter if the "parts" are teaspoons, cups or more (I usually use tablespoons). I found that it was the ratio of olive oil and vinegar that I liked best. I often decrease the amount of sugar, but usually don't eliminate it.

This 3-2-1 vinaigrette is the basic recipe I use for all vinaigrettes. I've used different oils, different acids, and different sweeteners. Sometimes I use a splash of soy sauce instead of salt and sometimes I add some Dijon and sometimes I add some herbs. I make small amounts of the dressings, usually never more than a cup. Since it takes less than 5 minutes to make them, it's not a big issue when preparing a meal.

Here are some recipes for Pantry Dressings from www.thefresh20.com. She uses balsamic vinegar for many dressings, but Italians wouldn't use that. They would use red or white wine vinegar and/or lemon juice.

Here's How to Dress a Salad from Memorie di Angelina. I've tried this method and it's very good.

I'm assuming that the Trader Joe's Goddess Dressing is a green goddess dressing. Here's Ina Garten's recipe and here's one from Simply Recipes (I'd probably like this one better). I used to like Green Goddess dressing, but haven't had it for years! I shop at Trader Joe's, but have never bought one of their salad dressings.

Hope this helps!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:26 pm

I will try some! I'm not a fan of balsamic vinegar, but I think I have some anyway, as well as red and white. I haven't bought olive oil in awhile because I've heard it's best to buy only enough for three months' time and I used it so little cooking just for me. However, making my own dressings is a good reason to stock up.

I'll look at the Green Goddess, but the Trader Joe's isn't green. However, there's room for variety! It never hurts to have another dressing in a repertoire. Thanks!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:34 pm

oolala53 wrote:I haven't bought olive oil in awhile because I've heard it's best to buy only enough for three months' time and I used it so little cooking just for me. However, making my own dressings is a good reason to stock up.
!
I get Trader Joe's Trader Giotto's Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a 16.9 ounce bottle. I use it both for cooking and salad dressings. I

f you go to Williams-Sonoma, Whole Foods, Earth Fare and other upscale groceries you can buy olive oil in smaller amounts. My daughter recently brought me some from The Boston Olive Oil Company and I think it's only 8 ounces.