new here

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ktkitten417

new here

Post by ktkitten417 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi No-S-ers,

Just starting back on No-S after having enjoyed the system in the past. A bit about me:

I'm a yo-yo dieter ever since my teenage years (I am 30 now). I have done Weight Watchers and the South Beach Diet with success, but have always ended up getting tired of counting points/calories or avoiding carbs. I am an emotional eater and have worked hard to cut down on bingeing, but have particular trouble on the weekends and when sweets are involved.

Recently, I have been hindered by major back problems which have prevented me from being as active as I would like. It used to be that I would always eat fairly well but that I didn't have to be TOO strict because I was kickboxing and running a lot. After my injury, I could not exercise, became depressed, and started bingeing more on food and alcohol. I also had a personal loss and the grief/stress from that has taken a huge toll on me - up 20 lbs in 1 year (for reference: from 145 lbs to 165 lbs currently and I'm 5'4").

I've gotten back to the gym (with less intensity to avoid injury) on a regular basis but still struggle with food. My biggest concern with No-S is that I will not see any results for a long time and get discouraged. So I thought, might as well dive in and get involved in the discussion forum to garner support from other No-S-ers. Any advice on how to stay positive and motivated, especially when first starting out??

Thanks in advance! :D

nosfreedom

Post by nosfreedom » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 am

Hey there, welcome back to no-s! I too am a newbie, having only done this seriously the last few weeks but having taken a run at it a few times before.

I think the discouragement from faster weight loss kept me from being successful in the past, so I can relate to your question. I'm pregnant now, so the pressure's off in terms of weight loss but still I wonder about how quickly the weight loss will be post-baby.

I do try to remind myself that the allure of losing 20 pounds in 2 or 3 months (as opposed to in a year) is what has distracted me away from establishing real, healthy habits in a program like no-s (that would lead to permanent weight loss). Had I stuck with it the first couple of times I tried it I would definitely be at goal weight by now! In 5 years, won't you be more discouraged that you gave into the temptation to try yet another conventional diet (that is not likely to produce measurable long-term results at best, or at worse, lead to more weight gain) if you give up on no-s because of the slow loss? I try to think of it that way.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:33 pm

Try to give up at first the need to lose weight and concentrate on the misery of dieting and rebounding. Don't you want a consistent way to eat moderately without watching every bite? Can you really go on another diet, stick to it, and curtail your eating afterwards? If you take it seriously, over time, No S can wean you off overeating in a way that dieting never did for me- nor for the 97% of the others who've tried it for over a hundred years.

Exceptions notwithstanding, No S is a good chance for eating sanity.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)