Hot chocolate

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sugarjunkie

Hot chocolate

Post by sugarjunkie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi all,ive just got back onto this again last week and ive a question for anyone that can help.Does a low cal hot choc drink count as a sweet or a snack or is it ok to have on an N day?

Coffeegal

Post by Coffeegal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:40 pm

My understanding is that it's a gray area. Drinks aren't considered snacking, but it's best to avoid sugary drinks and artificial sweeteners. I avoid the gray areas on N days unless something special is happening that's not quite worthy of being a true S-day.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:50 pm

It depends on how much sugar is in the drink. Unless you make it yourself and can control the amount of sugar I'd consider it a sweet.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 pm

You may be surprised how satisfying plain hot milk with a couple teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder stirred in can be. It is naturally sweet and completely okay on N days.
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:45 am

I agree, it's a gray area. The reason I don't drink things like that on N days is that I'd rather "fence around the law" as I want to build a habit of not needing any sweet things on N days. If it tastes sweet it doesn't matter how many calories it has - your body will not learn not to crave sweet things.

However, if it makes the difference between you sticking with NoS and not sticking with NoS I'd say: go for it.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:34 am

eschano wrote:I agree, it's a gray area. The reason I don't drink things like that on N days is that I'd rather "fence around the law" as I want to build a habit of not needing any sweet things on N days. If it tastes sweet it doesn't matter how many calories it has - your body will not learn not to crave sweet things.

However, if it makes the difference between you sticking with NoS and not sticking with NoS I'd say: go for it.
Remember, for the purposes of No-S, "sweets" means anything that has a large amount of sugar or that would be considered a dessert. It's not no sugar.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 am

I've used mocha or latte for years. I do try to make my own with stevia, but I've used commercial cocoa mix in coffee at times. I try to limit it to ONLY when I feel hungry and mostly when I have more than 2 hours until the next meal. It never made me want more or different food, so I've considered it safe.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:29 pm

My opinion- I make hot chocolate with 1t cocoa and 1 1/2t sugar. I don't consider that a sweet because I might put that much sugar in a large mug of coffee. It just takes the edge off the bitter, but isn't like a cookie's worth of sugar or something.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".