Newbie New move

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Tim4701

Newbie New move

Post by Tim4701 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:30 am

I was just goofing around after having finished my second day 14 minute SG, and found this move interesting. With an underhand grip near the top of the sledge and an overhand grip near the bottom of the handle, holding the sledge slightly to your side, lunge forward with the leg opposite to the side with the sledge (like a standard lunge), but as you are lunging smoothly thrust forward the sledge as if striking with a bayonet (only analogy I am thinking of at the moment), then return to the standing position. In the starting position, I like to have the opposite leg (no sledge side) a little bit out in front of the other leg (sledge side). I've always liked lunges because they hurt so good, not to mention they work major muscles. I'm glad I found a way to incorperate them into my SG'ing. Actually maybe for some scenerios you could use this move as if you were a fireman or a policeman using a battering ram to knock down a door!

david

Post by david » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:41 pm

....or an infantryman evading a thrust to the face and planting the bayonet in your enemy's gut.....

--david

phayze

Post by phayze » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:32 pm

I'm not sure what this says about me, but I like the way you think, Dave. :lol My first thought of spear-work, though. Bayonets are just too modern for me. ;)

I've been wanting to get some lunges into my routine too, but I need to really work on keeping them smooth because my wife is always asleep upstairs when I'm shugging and I don't want to wake her up with noisey lunges. Maybe I'll play with this next week durring my free-style time.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

david

Post by david » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:26 pm

You could try this: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=911

I promise you that your legs will get worked.

--david