Some thoughts

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Marc1

Some thoughts

Post by Marc1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:31 am

Hi I just wanted to say hello!

I bought a sledgehammer last week and have been getting into the "swing" of it. Unfortunately the shop only had 7lb and 14lb, so I'm starting out quite light :)
I think the reason shugging is so satisfying for me is the feeling that I'm doing something people once (still do) had to do as a way of life..digging/hammering etc.
Anyway I wanted to give my tuppence worth of thoughts about shugging :)

1: I personally feel that performing "burpees" are the perfect accompanyment to shugging. Working mainly the chest and legs with one exercise (for people worried they're not hitting these muscles)

2: I've not seen this exercise on here but apologies if i've missed it.
Hold the hammer in front of you with the "head" at head height then swing it around your back and head and bring it down at waist level in a chopping motion like a knight swinging a broad sword. Very satisfying!

3: My routine follows a story which is building the defences and then fighting using the above "sword" movement. Then i lose the sword and have to fist fight the enemy (probably can only do this because I have a light hammer) I hold the hammer just under the head and then do slow punches, upper cuts, hooks etc.

Nice to meet you :)

Marc
Keyboard Warrior :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:31 pm

Welcome, Marc.

I don't actually recall the sword movement being posted before. Sounds interesting and fun, especially in the context of your scenario. Also easy to understand. I'll definitely try it.

And don't ever worry about your independent discovery having been posted here before. If it works for you and you can't find it here, then it'll probably work for others and they can't find it either.

I was emailed something about burpees just last week.

Here's a link for the curious:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

Looks interesting. I'm just a little too content with my routine right now to consider expanding... do keep us posted on how you integrate the two.

Reinhard

Marc1

Post by Marc1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:46 pm

Thankyou Reinhard,
I seperate my burpee training from shugging. I do 100 burpees on my lunch hour (5 sets of 20) and then get the sledgehammer out when I get home some hours later. I should probably combine the 2 but I need something to do at lunch time and I'm too eager to get into shugging to bother with the burpees when i get home :)
Keyboard Warrior :)

phayze

Post by phayze » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:12 pm

I love burpees! I also love sword-inspired shugging.

Welcome the forums, and thanks for sharing!
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words