After 6 months of watching...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Le Mercenaire

After 6 months of watching...

Post by Le Mercenaire » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:22 pm

...I finally turned to posting!

A boy that will soon turn 30 and a new dad, I always was active and in the last years I became an office employee. Translator, I'm sitting in front of a computer all day long. Biking to work, I was doing well during summer, but after a while I discovered that my winter week-end activities were definitely not enough. I had to find something more and I hate gyms... this is when I found about SG.

Wow! I got myself a 10 pounder, started slow but went steady and I didn't gain a single pound during winter, I actually lost a couple pounds when I started and remained at a comfortable 185 lbs for 5'11" since that time. Having a damaged right shoulder (atrophied deltoid due to ripped nerves in a bicycle accident many years ago) I was afraid it would be pretty rough but in fact, I think that it’s helping it!

I'm thinking about going heavier soon, but I don't want to over do it and I still have a decent challenge with my 10 lbs. I'm doing series of 30 (go figure why... I liked the number) and I don't have a regular list of moves. I particularly like shovelling coal (hand over and hand under, throw forward and over the shoulder), chop wood, drive fence post, the fireman, one hand hoist the sack, flip the lever and canoeing.

With summer coming in, I'm getting back on my bike (2 to 3 times a week, 20 km each way to and from work) and I'll keep on shugging. I'd love to go down somewhere between 175 and 180 pounds (that would look awesome around the swimming pool he he he) but my main objective is just to remain active and well.

Le Mercenaire

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:10 pm

You're in the right place, and don't worry too much about progress. A 10 pounder is plenty for the first year.

Welcome, and let us know if you come up with new moves we can try.

Don't be afraid to sprinkle other exercises in.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:32 pm

Welcome, Mercenaire. Thanks for posting! The other watchers (and posters) really appreciate it.

I too, have a very sedentary job. It's especially important for people like us to get moving, and in an interesting, varied way.

Kevin is right: don't rush it. You don't want your routine to get hard/dangerous enough to give you an excuse to break your habit. Besides, the longer you can draw out that feeling of progress, the more you'll look forward to each workout.

Reinhard

Le Mercenaire

Post by Le Mercenaire » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:19 pm

Thanks for the support guys, this morning shugging was particularly intense due to the nice words!

Kevin, I do sprinkle quite a bit of biking in the summer, and during the winter I was doing hindu squats to keep my legs in shape; I must admit that I'm amazed at how good my legs still are. The couple first rides in the spring are usually really hard and this year it was really easy.

Reinhard, I've actually been a bit lazy these last weeks (3-4 days a week instead of 5) and I think that's why the 10er still represent a challenge. But I'm kicking myself and I'm pushing myself to get back to 5 days a week...

Probably next week!

Keep on shugging!

Le Mercenaire
Bis vincit qui se vincit in victoriam