Best weight for a beginner

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
simonb

Best weight for a beginner

Post by simonb » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:29 pm

Apologies if this has come up before - I couldn't find any posts on it using a search.

I'm eager to get started shovelgloving, but wanted to make sure I get the right size hammer. I'm pretty weedy, and have had some injuries (separated shoulder). In your opinion, should I start out with something less than 12lbs??

Many thanks for any advice.

david

Post by david » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:18 pm

Ten-pound hammers are readily-available and I think that for the great majority of men it's the perfect starting weight.

--david

fungus

Re: Best weight for a beginner

Post by fungus » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:10 am

simonb wrote:I'm pretty weedy
For weeds, 10lb should be enough for the first six months.

Mr_B

Post by Mr_B » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:32 am

Hi simonb, welcome to the forum!

My only advice would be not to disregard a lighter hammer thinking it will be too easy.

I started with a nine-pounder (4kg) and that was enough to get me swinging each morning.

For me, the important thing is not the weight, but rather the fact that you do something every day. A lighter hammer may be more rewarding while you begin, and then you can upgrade once the old hammer becomes too light to raise a meaningful sweat.

Also, if you are like me - a perennial non-exerciser - the chances are you are using some muscles for the first time in a long time. Give the poor fellahs a chance ;)

Good luck, and the important thing is to do it. Focus on just doing the minimum each day and before long you'll be swinging like a pro.

Cheers,

Rich

WinstonWolf

Post by WinstonWolf » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:56 am

I started with an 8 lb hammer about a month ago (I'm 5'7", was 220 to start, now 215 consistently after about a month of shovelglove, NoS, and a few other exercises - pushups, pilates, some kettlebell, sprints...).

I probably could have started with a 10, but ... slow and easy is better than hard and not doing it because you hurt too much or hurt yourself.

I'd like to be losing more weight, and more body fat percent, but eh whatever... it took a long time to put the weight on, and I have other compensations like lower blood pressure, not being out of breath on stairs like I was last winter, etc. The weight'll come off eventually if I'm not an idiot about eating. And about a pound a week, I've read, is healthy. More and it could be a problem...

I'm just starting to think about getting a 10 lb one, and maybe start out alternating... say, doing 21 reps (of most exercises) on M/W with the 8 lb, and 14 reps (or whatever I can manage to start) with the 10 on T/Th or something like that.

Thing is, you won't go wrong if you go "too low" either. You can do different things with a lower weight than a higher weight hammer - someone here was mentioning that they now use a 16 lb-er regularly, and the 8 lb-er is great for speed drills.

For instance... I do not use the sledgehammer inside my house. We have stuff and cats. Usually the cats are smart enough to stay out of my way. We also have a backyard.

However, we do have a big basement, and a couple of Body Bars. For variety, I'll sometimes use either the 9 lb bar or the 15 lb bar (surprisingly heavy at the moment) for a workout similar to SG...

... it's remarkably fun now to be able to whip the 9 lb bar around like it's pretty much nothing, when a month or so ago that was "kinda heavy" to me. I look forward to having the 15 lb one "feel" as light, eventually.

One fun exercise with the body bar that I would NOT do with a hammer: spinning the bar hand-over-hand. Works your shoulders and arms like crazy. Even a minute or two with the 9 lb one is quite hard.

Another fun one: tossing the body bar between hands.

Sooo... anyway... point being, I agree with Mr_B... start at whatever weight you think you'll stick with. It's more important to get through, say, a few weeks consistently 5 days a week than how heavy you start.

You can always get another one later.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:20 pm

Some thoughts about weights:

I am fortunate to have a 4, 6, 8, 12, & 16 lb Shovelglove. ( The 4 & 6 were purchased in a burst of zeal when I realized how much I enjoy shugging-that's the verb we use, yes? - and wanted my young sons and wife to develop the habit as well.)

When I searched posts about weights IIRC I saw one by Reinhard where he said that he used a 12 for some time, (approx. 1 yr.?) and then moved up to 16, but still picks up the 12 from time to time and, again IIRC, the term he used that most impressed me was about his not moving up until he "owned" the weight.

Before I went on my SG buying spree, I already owned the 8 & 16 that I rarely used for tire striking work. The idea of "domesticating" the sledge with an old sweater :lol: , and doing other movements, regularly, indoors, really clicked for me. The traditional movements help me get through the mental/emotional inertia of just getting started by simply picking up the SG and just start shoveling, then chopping, then churning, then ab killers and variations, then some non-canonical moves really get me rotating and moving.

Back to the "what weight" topic: Without knowing your strength & conditioning level, it is hard to say precisely. My guess is that an 8 or 10 should work fine no matter what, and here's why.

I have been cycling through all the weights, and I love that. I think it (cycling,) is healthy for mood, sustained interest and physiology. Mostly I use the 12, and then the 8 & 16 about equally, but I've even played with the lightest ones. When I use the 8, I MOVE. Fast shoveling and chopping! The 16 is slower and deliberate. Some days the 12, a'la' Goldilocks, "is just right". However with the light ones, I can do movements that I can not with the 12 & 16, or can not do as gracefully with even the 8. For example, moves that approximate, ( with grip-leverage variation,) baseball bat swings, etc. Also, after a few days with the heavier weights, when I return to a lighter one, my "owning" of that lighter weight and my ability to generate either more intensity or greater grace/control of movement with the lighter weight is noticeably greater. Interestingly, after greater intensity with the lighter weight, I feel that my strength is somewhat greater when returning to the heavier weight.( Although the latter is not always true. Sometimes heavier just feels heavier.)

So, bottom line, jump in with a 8 or 10 and depending upon your feelings as you go along and your budget, ( a hammer is pretty inexpensive as "lasts forever" fitness equipment goes,) consider adding other weights for variety.

BTW, as I do a number of non-canonical movements, a vendor is preparing a hammer weighted on both ends, ( initially 5lbs each side,) that I am going to experiment with. If anyone is interested I will report back at some point as to my experiences with same.

Happy Shugging Simon B. !

All the best,

Eddie

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:12 pm

I started with a 12 pounder, but I'm a bigger than average dude, and it was probably a little on the heavy side for the first few months.

So I'd probably advise starting lighter than that. Too heavy can be a problem: it can be unpleasant, your form can suffer, you're more likely to injure yourself. And there's not really any such thing as too light -- my regular is a 20 pounder now, but I still profitably pick up my original 12 pounder now and then. Hold the handle farther from the head and swing harder and the magic of leverage will make it plenty hard. I've also noticed that the lighter weights, swung hard, seem to work the core more vs. the arms. So there may even be some kind of physiological advantage (or potentially desirable trade off, at least) to using a lighter weight.

Keep in mind that the hardest, most important thing by far is not the muscular work but building the habit. A lighter weight is going to facilitate this process by depriving you of conscious and unconscious excuses to skip your daily routine.

If you find quickly that you love shugging but want a heavier weight, well, it's not a huge investment. Lighter hammers are also a bit cheaper than heavier ones, so there's less financial risk up front in case you wind up not sticking with it.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:32 am

Hi!
Ooh, I'd definitely suggest eight to ten pounds max at the moment, since you have a previous serious shoulder injury. Twelve would be a great goal to work towards once you have your shoulders nice and strong. You definitely don't want to reinjure yourself.
Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness