card workout

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
SurfingBuddha

card workout

Post by SurfingBuddha » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:56 pm

In an effort to keep myself interested and challenged in the exercise world I tried a new workout on Monday. It invovles using a pack of regular playing cards. Each card represents a different SG movement, and the number of reps is based on the number of the card. For example red cards this week have been the basic shovel while black cards were hoist the sack. Red face cards were churning butter, black face cards were driving fence posts. Aces were bodyweight squats and Jokers were pushups. I set my timer for 20 minutes to make up for me stopping to flip cards out of the deck. It's been fun and I haven't had the same workout twice.

Incidently this isn't an original idea, I stole it after watching a friend's son at wrestling practice. The coach used the deck of cards for bodyweight exercise and wrestling drills.
Build a man a fire, he stays warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:42 am

Cool. Throwing dice would be fun as well. Enjoy !

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:16 pm

I like it in principle (it's actually come up a bunch of times over the years on the bulletin board and its yahoo group predecessor) but at this point I'm too much on auto-pilot to want to make conscious decisions about what to do next between movements. Since I almost always do the moves in the same order (even when I vary the rep count), one move just slides into the next.

Reinhard

Mr_B

Post by Mr_B » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:38 am

I'll go with the autopilot thing. I only wake up about halfway through the routine, once the blood gets pumping.

However that sounds like just the solution I'm looking for for Freestyle Fridays. At 6am I have a very limited imagination so something like you cards would suit me fine - if you pardon the pun.

Thanks!

(what a card, well I'll just shuffle along, I haven't the heart etc. etc. - I'll get my coat... ;) )