ShovelGlove and Back issues

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
resting52

ShovelGlove and Back issues

Post by resting52 » Wed May 07, 2008 2:13 pm

Just started Shovelglove this morning. Has there been any discussion about what moves do better if you have back issues-I do, but just a little bit, or what moves strengthen back muscles the most?

Resting

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed May 07, 2008 3:09 pm

"Back issues" is a pretty loose term!

Is your problem weak back muscles or weak abs? My roommate, if he does not do regular situps, will have vicious back trouble. But screw anecdotes. What does the doc say?

Shovelglove does involve twisting. Have you been advised about this by a doc?

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks Noel,

Actually, it is a non issue now. My back gave me the answer. Thankful for cheap ibuprophen! I will just stick to lots of walking with wrist weights for now.

Resting

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 08, 2008 2:13 pm

Ouch, sorry to hear that resting52.

Most of the moves work the back hard, which is great for strengthening it, but perhaps a little much if it's in very poor shape to begin with.

I'd advise maybe starting with a broom or something very light to get a sense of the moves and build the habit. Then very slowly do a few reps of a few moves that click with you (say 7 rep sets). Stop immediately and take the next day off if anything hurts.

Reinhard

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:49 pm

Reinhard,

What a great idea!

I should have know better when putting the garden in last week did my back in. I never lifted anything heavier than a hand mattox but I did do a good bit of twisting and digging.

I think I'll try doing the broom thing in the mornings while I still have my wrist weights on. If that is a problem, I'll move to just the broom. I want to be stronger and more flexible.

Thanks!

Resting