Shovelglove & Swimming

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
billyymc12508

Shovelglove & Swimming

Post by billyymc12508 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Have been shugging for a while now, usually in the morning before work unless I have to be in extra early.

But just recently got back in the pool on a regular (3x per week) basis. Doing about 1600 - 2000 yards per workout at the moment...not huge, but FEELS hard!

Any thoughts on whether it would be better to shug before i swim, or on the days I swim to shug in the evening instead? Very hard to drag myself out of bed at 5 am to shug in time to get to the pool at 6...but shugging at night means the next morning when I don't swim, I'd shug with only 10 hours between shugging sessions.

Thanks for any input/ideas.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 23, 2008 9:57 am

Maybe switch your shugging to be evenings every night? That way you don't pile up sessions to close together, and it's more regular.

I prefer mornings, too, but had to switch to PM because of scheduling issues (chasing the kids out of the house).

If you do have to do two sessions in a short amount of time, make one at least a little more relaxed. You really don't want to injure yourself.

Another option might be to swim OR shug every day, or do both 3 times a week with one overlapping day. Not sure if that would be sufficiently hard core for you, but it would probably be enough to keep you in great shape.

Reinhard

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Sat May 24, 2008 7:09 pm

Why not doing shugging Mon Wed & Fri, then swim Tues Thurs & Sat..and take sundays off or use them to do longer walks or something?

p.s. I had to laugh when I first read the title of this thread...cause I thought someone was thinking about shovelgloving WHILE swimming...lol.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

billyymc12508

Post by billyymc12508 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:23 am

OrganicGal wrote:Why not doing shugging Mon Wed & Fri, then swim Tues Thurs & Sat..and take sundays off or use them to do longer walks or something?

p.s. I had to laugh when I first read the title of this thread...cause I thought someone was thinking about shovelgloving WHILE swimming...lol.

Haha...that would make for a short session!

I guess the obvious solution is to either alternate, as OragnicGal says, or to shug at night are Reinhard mentioned...which presents the obvious time challenges (I have two kids, so try to spend my evenings with them), plus the fact that if I shug at 9:00 pm I find it hard to get to sleep before 11:30 or so.

I COULD just try to get up at 4:45 and shug before the pool, but that seems so unattractive. Hmm...could sleep in my bathing suit! ha...

ok...well, I think I will give another attempt at shugging before swimming...just get out of bed at 5, chug a cup of coffee, swing the hammer, and then get to the pool. If I can't keep up that schedule I'll make a family habit of exercising together for 1/2 hour every evening -- which we really do anyway (walk or bike).