Another newbie checking in...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
thejnaitor

Another newbie checking in...

Post by thejnaitor » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:31 am

Hey everybody,

I just stumbled upon shovelglove a few hours ago through a maze of links that ended up with me here. Anyway, I tried it out tonight, for 14 minutes, and I think I'm going to give it a go and see how it turns out. It's amazing what people manage to come up with in their spare time; waitta go, Reinhard! Thanks for introducing all of us to this sweet exercise routine. I'm thinking I'll do this in addition to my normal run or bike ride I do every day and see if I can manage to gain a little muscle mass in my upper body... hehe.

Thanks again!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:12 pm

Welcome, thejnaitor. Shovelglove and biking/running complement each other well. Keep us posted.

thejnaitor

Post by thejnaitor » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:57 am

Day 3 of shugging is now complete. I'm really liking this so far. It seems to be a pretty good workout, except for my abs. Am I supposed to be feeling it there, too?

srbliss

Crank it up - you will feel it

Post by srbliss » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:50 am

thejnaitor wrote:Day 3 of shugging is now complete. I'm really liking this so far. It seems to be a pretty good workout, except for my abs. Am I supposed to be feeling it there, too?
Just do more in the 14 minutes and you will feel it. I like to really twist around and feel like I am really doing hard manual labor.
Steve

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:38 am

thejnaitor wrote:Day 3 of shugging is now complete. I'm really liking this so far. It seems to be a pretty good workout, except for my abs. Am I supposed to be feeling it there, too?
I had the same feeling when I started, but after playing around with some of the movements I found the "sweet spot" for muscle recruitment. When you're shoveling, trying leaning forward a bit into a shallow lunge - this really gets my abs and lower back involved.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

david

Post by david » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:45 pm

Just look at previous posts on the SG forum. People ask "the ab question" all of the time.

Reinhard--a FAQ maybe?

--david

CipherSwarm

Post by CipherSwarm » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:28 pm

Thought I'd chip in on the abs question.

I've been doing SG and NoS for about two weeks now, and despite "not feeling it" in my abs, they're stronger, and I've finally started to drop the last bits of fat from my stomach (nothing huge, but enough to keep from showing the muscle underneath).
I was suprised when I noticed a few days ago, but between eating better and working my back/abs like hell (I sit on a balance ball for a chair at my desk 3-4 hours each day), I've conquered the one thing I didn't like about my body.

thejnaitor

Post by thejnaitor » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:32 pm

Thanks for the support everybody. I am starting to notice my abs get a bit stronger, though they still don't "hurt" when I'm done exercising for the day. I do sit ups and other exercise throughout the day, too, and it seems like shugging is starting to help now.