First timer

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Grumbles

First timer

Post by Grumbles » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:02 pm

Just started shovel gloving this Saturday ( i know that I'm not supposed to on the weekends but i figured my body could use the work). Much say its left me a lot more tense and sore than i thought.

My first workouts went something along the lines of:
50 shovels (each side)
50 chops (each side)
40 churn butters (each arm)
25 curl swings/no names (each side)
and then some 2 handed back scratchers till time ran out or I physically couldn't lift the hammer

Not to sure how thrilled my college will be with me having a sledge hammer in the dorms so I can keep working out after break but oh well, nothing in the rules says i can't have one :-).

Thats really it, just wanted to say hi.

Keenan
Last edited by Grumbles on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:58 am

Welcome Keenan!

It is a surprisingly tough work out. 8-12 pounds don't sound like much, but at the end of a stick, it's a lot.

Thanks for sharing your routine. Hoping to get that long planned "routines" section of the site up over the week or two...

Reinhard

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:28 pm

Welcome to the forum! It's so nice to see such a steady flow of newcomers lately. :D

Sounds like you're off to a fantastic start, just keep that hammer out of sight when the RAs are around and be careful not to knock any holes in the dorm walls. :lol:
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

Grumbles

Post by Grumbles » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:48 pm

Well i came across some bad news, I need to take a train to get back out to school and apparently AMTRAK wasn't to thrilled with the idea of sledgehammers on their train so I'm gonna have to buy one when i get out there :-/. Stupid no freshman cars rule. Oh well, and I'll prolly have to hide it from my friends b/c of their stupidity they'd prolly try and and hit each other or something stupid like that.

Day 5 and I haven't had any troubles with getting up to do this work out all week. No work either because they don't love me. I've been considering doing it 2x a day because of that little fact but figured I'd come here for some advice first.

Happy Holidays,

Keenan

phayze

Post by phayze » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:31 pm

sorry to hear about the AMTRAK thing, but on the bright side you won't have to deal with transporting back and forth over holidays. ;)

I'm building up to 8 workouts per week, with the extras on Tues, Wed and Thurs, but I don't recommend shovelglove twice per day, just for fear of stagnation. I like to do bodyweight exercises for my afternoon routines

There's also the trap of using those extra workouts to justify skipping a morning, thus trashing your habit-forming. And then there's my problem of overdoing things in the afternoons and having to skip a morning to recover . . . that sucks too. So, if you do go for extra sessions I'd recommend taking them fairly easy, and I would also advise using a different reps/set schedule and/or different moves just to keep things interesting.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words