Do you... wushu?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
nascif

Do you... wushu?

Post by nascif » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:25 am

Hi everybody,

I have been using this great system for some months now, and it is the best thing for home fitness I found so far - bar none. I read the links about related systems and I was curious about Indian Clubs. But to keep with the hammer spirit I bought two "engineer" hammers, 4 pounds each, and tried some of the movements. I can tell already they will be a nice extension to the shovelglove routine!

Anyway, I also practice martial arts and I think that they can be a great source of inspiration for shovelglove movements, and in return benefit from the strength and flexibility they provide.

I believe that weapons routines would be the perfect match. Wushu (chinese kung-fu) has many weapons, including the following two that are quite similar to a sledgehammer:

Hammer
http://www.chinwoo.com.au/mambo/index.p ... Itemid=145

Axe
http://www.chinwoo.com.au/mambo/index.p ... Itemid=145

And this would be similar to Indian Clubs, or to one-hand shovelgloves:

Twin Hammers
http://www.chinwoo.com.au/mambo/index.p ... Itemid=146

So if we can find videos, forms or any other training material for those weapons, we automatically find shovelglove material too! I am on the look but was not able to find anything so far - those are more exotic weapons and not as popular as the sword, broadsword, staff and spear.

If anybody has links for this kind of material, or other martial arts related routines, please let me know.

Thanks,
Nascif

PS: The forum is nice, but how about a wiki?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:47 pm

Nascif,

Thanks for these links!

Wow, almost 5000 years of proto-shovelglove. That's older than most major world religions!

I love this line:
Users of this weapon could take attacks and produce attack in the hardcore style.
I'm at work right now but I'll see if I can find anything on youtube when I get home. Excellent lead!

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:59 pm

A wikki has been proposed before.... I'll look into it.

One big concern I have is I don't want another redundant user account system. But I'm sure someone has hacked something to make phpbb accounts work with wikkis...

The other concern I have is having the time to properly administer it. I can barely deal with the bb. Spam is a huge, huge pain.

Reinhard

sledgehammer

Post by sledgehammer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:20 pm

reinhard wrote:A wikki has been proposed before.... I'll look into it.

One big concern I have is I don't want another redundant user account system. But I'm sure someone has hacked something to make phpbb accounts work with wikkis...

The other concern I have is having the time to properly administer it. I can barely deal with the bb. Spam is a huge, huge pain.

Reinhard
Reinhard, do you weed out the spam in phbb manually?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:27 pm

I weed some out manually.

I've coded some primitive spam blocking which gets most of it, but there's A LOT, and enough gets through for it to be a pain.

I'm sure there's some patch I could apply that would block spam more efficiently... too many technologies to consider to consider any of them!

Do let me know if you know of something in particular...

Reinhard

sledgehammer

Post by sledgehammer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:14 am

reinhard wrote:I weed some out manually.

I've coded some primitive spam blocking which gets most of it, but there's A LOT, and enough gets through for it to be a pain.

I'm sure there's some patch I could apply that would block spam more efficiently... too many technologies to consider to consider any of them!

Do let me know if you know of something in particular...

Reinhard
From my experience most offenders use automated spam programs. These can be mostly taken care of by modifying phpbb's registration steps slightly to confuse the spam programs (although they get smarter every day). Like this:
http://www.tfbw.com/archives/20

For those who are humans then it's more difficult to automate. A cron job that unregisters anyone registered for 48 hours without a post will take care of spammers registering just to pollute your site with a link to their site.
Then there's the more vicious ones. Those who make you feel like taking that sweater off your shovelglove for a 14 minute session of real punishment... :twisted:

nascif

Arnis

Post by nascif » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:33 am

Another potential good source is Arnis, a Filipino martial arts that includes a lot of stick fighting. One of the styles is called Sinawali and uses two sticks - or two short hammers.

Check this video. I tried the routine using my two 4-pounders and, well, I was not able to go very far!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgxqxNTM_TA