Shovelglove in cramped spaces

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Shovelglove in cramped spaces

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:02 pm

We had a houseguest last night and I didn't have anywhere to do my shovelglove routine except our (rather small) bathroom. I was strongly tempted to skip my workout... but then I thought of the red mark I'd have to make on my habitcal (note to old timers: even for us the habitcal can be motivationally useful). I tried to look at it as a challenge instead of an annoyance: what moves (if any) could I do in such a small space?

Four, it turns out:

1. Churn Butter (aka "plunge the toilet" -- plumber scenario, right?)
2. Hoist the Sack
3. Flip the Lever (had to stand with one foot in the bathtub to avoid taking out the toilet)
4. Tuck the bails (had to kneel in order to avoid actually smashing the ceiling)

I set the timer and somewhat unevenly cycled between these four moves. It was a reasonable taxing workout without being unduly repetitive and stressful. Working out two inches from a brightly lit mirror was egotistically satisfying and physiologically interesting -- churn butter, though it feels like one of the easier movements, looks like it's working an awful lot of muscles, from neck to arms to abdomen.

The best thing about a good excuse (like my houseguest) is that it feels awesome to ignore them. I look forward to the next obstacle!

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:21 am

Good for you Reinhard for keeping that excuse demon down!!!!! :twisted:
Awesome solution! :wink:
Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:07 am

What a funny post! Glad you found a way to make it work. :D

Matthew Warner

Post by Matthew Warner » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:39 pm

So did your neighbor say anything about the gasps and groans coming from behind the bathroom door? ;)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:06 pm

As long as the baby isn't screaming at the top of her lungs, the neighbors are happy. :-)

Reinhard