Indian Club Swinging (aka Persian Meel) Resources

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
phayze

Indian Club Swinging (aka Persian Meel) Resources

Post by phayze » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:00 pm

Hey-o! Once again de-lurking to share a little info that I thought the community might enjoy. :)

I know that occasionally some shovel glovers will take an interest in Persian meel, Indian club swinging, and other Middle Eastern conditioning systems due to the parallels that they have with our lovely hammer work. If you're one of those, then might I suggest checking this little corner of the Expert Village for a primer on the use there-of. They make a lot more sense than the, admittedly very amusing, drawings in the Victorian Club Swinging Books, which are sort of helpful in their own way, but not terribly clear. And the model's mustache is very distracting. :p

You can modify these moves for use with your own handy-dandy shovel glove (or vice-a-versa, if you don't mind cutting down the handle a bit), buy some grossly over-priced clubbells or slightly over-priced wooden clubs , or just make your own (Like I did).

Anybody else have any good info/links/suggested reading on clubs?
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:26 pm

Nice! You could probably simulate these workouts with 2 one-handed hammers. I've been thinking about testing out a one handed hammer workout for ages now... but it's been difficult to motivate since I'm so satisfied with my current two handed one.
[Indian club swinging] was a featured Olympic sport in 1904, but its popularity waned in the 1920s.
Shovelglove as an olympic sport... now that would be something.

Reinhard

SurfingBuddha

Post by SurfingBuddha » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:24 pm

Hey Phayze thanks for the links...I have a container that is perfect for the kegbell!
Build a man a fire, he stays warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.

Mr_B

Post by Mr_B » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:18 pm

Nice moves!

If you did this with ordinary lump hammers, I think you'd need some sort of wrist strap or lanyard affair to stop the them flying over the horizon if things got a bit frisky.

Still, worth a shot if I ever need to supplement the shugging.

Thanks Phayze.