diagram of moves

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Chris Graeme

diagram of moves

Post by Chris Graeme » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:52 pm

The diagram at

http://www.exuberantanimal.com/medball_ ... er%202.pdf

Gives soem movement patterns to use in playing with a medicine ball. The patterns could easily be used for tracing round with the sledgehammer?

DegradedBeast

Post by DegradedBeast » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:02 pm

That is an excellent idea. I've just started shugging and I find that my grip is a weak spot and of course you can't do the big movements for the shoulders and back if you can't hold onto your shovel.

Controlled movements like your medicine ball routines are good for the hands and forearms. (I've also been writing my name in script, both with the shovel held out in front -- I choke up on the handle -- and hanging down).

Part of my grip problem is that my hands get pretty sweaty. Weightlifting gloves don't seem in the shugger spirit and I'm reluctant to tape my wooden handle. I'd be interested in solutions other shuggers have discovered.
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.
- Spanish Proverb

Chris Graeme

Post by Chris Graeme » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:12 pm

DegradedBeast

Post by DegradedBeast » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:28 pm

Thanks! Lots of good ideas. I bookmarked GoAnimal.
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.
- Spanish Proverb

KC 7707

Post by KC 7707 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:03 am

I tried the exercises from www.goanimal.com with my 10 lb sledge and my 10 lb medicine ball. Both are fun but the sledge has the potential to be alot harder. There are some cool full body moves that you can incorporate with squats by tracing the shapes--e.g. there is one called "Super V" that I do by holding the SG hammer down-handle up. I squat down and swing the SG to the left-- then squat and swing to the right. I also do regular swings like kettlebell or dumbell swings but I ripped that off from the guy that ripped off Reinhard a while back.www.iwantsixpackabs.com.

Chris, I really like your blog and www.hillfit.com you put out really good info and good workout ideas too. Keep it up!